Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp Dvd Writer 300i

• Please log in to reply

slowlearner

slowlearner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently purchased one (still in unopened box)and have been told that it is being discontinued because of operating problems and will soon be replaced with newer version later this year. Does any one have information that add to or detract from this comment.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Found this on line here

"The drivers that are included with this drive will cause a conflict with any other cd writing software you may have installed. There are some work arounds, but not very easy to do. The bonus software if installed on some Windows XP machines, and Windows 2000, will make the system unstable, cause problems for all of your cdroms including the DVD300I. The program HP memories disk creator installs a flaky driver called AFS2K.sys which can not be removed easily once installed. If you do remove it, all of the CDROMS stop working. It can be removed, but then of course the writing software stops working! I have contacted tech support about this, which HP does not want to admit there is a problem. If you do a Google search for AFS2K.SYS you will see that there are 1000's of computers that are having this same problem. Before buying make sure drivers have been fixed.

Basically a nice drive but without the drivers and support from HP, I would wait until this gets resolved."

I would sure consider returning it. <_<