Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Defrag only goes to ~10%

• Please log in to reply

eliuri

eliuri

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello:

I've noticed that when I defrag my PC using the built-in Windows ME defrag utility, there is still a residual ~10% fragmentation rate. I get this reading when I run the Disk Health test at PC PitSpot.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Could it be that this '"background fragmentation" is set to be so on purpose so as to allow for smoother functioning of the PC?

IOW: Is it so by design?

Or is this some weakness in the Windows defragmentation utility?

Thanks;

-eliuri

Windows ME

IE 6.0 SP1

Norton AntiVirus 2004

Norton Personal Firewall 2003

Spybot 1.4

AdAware SE 1.06

Edited by eliuri, 13 June 2005 - 02:01 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try rebooting to safe mode to run disk defragmenter or go here for diskeeper lite, which will defragment the drive, and may also let the Windows defragmenter run afterwards

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi eliuri

I've noticed that when I defrag my PC using the built-in Windows ME defrag utility, there is still a residual ~10% fragmentation rate.

I don't really know how accurate Pc PitSpot is, but that kinda result doesn't surprise me. Some people run defrag twice because of that. Not a bad idea if you know your hard drive is badly fragmented; for example after deleting or uninstalling lots of large files, applications et al, or when performance is terrible.

Altho I think 10% is high, I usually defrag before I'm that fragmented. ;) So I'd probably defrag twice and start defragging more often in the future.

Could it be that this '"background fragmentation" is set to be so on purpose so as to allow for smoother functioning of the PC?

Don't think so. :tazz: Your Pc would run best with no fragmentation at all. Defrag will have a harder time if your Hard Drive is about full. The same is true for windows in general. If it is too full things will actually quit working.

Or is this some weakness in the Windows defragmentation utility?

Some third party defrag utilities claim to do a better job, run quicker et al. I've never tried any so I can't recommend a good replacement. But I doubt any would achieve perfect results on your typical computer. Some probably do a better job than windows. But I don't know if I would call it a weakness in the Windows utility. that would be some tricky code to write and they probably did as good of job as they could.

The next time you defrag try running ScanDisk in Ms-dos mode and do a full surface scan, and then run defrag twice (best in safe mode) and then test it at Pc Pitstop and see if this helps lower the percentage.

Hope this clears things up some. ;)

JONPAULONLINE

JONPAULONLINE

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
For the last three years I had to defrag in safe mode ,because I could nver get past 50%
I think all the new software that is A L W A Y S running as well as screen saver running is causing defrag to sense change to the hard drive, and so It start again.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
PcPitstop's tests are well respected and do work... if their tests say that is your defrag rate than it almost certainly is.

There are a few ways to get this lower, most which have already been mentioned:

1) Defrag in safe mode.
2) Defrag multiple times in a row.
3) Use a third party defragger like Diskkeeper Lite.

eliuri

eliuri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks mpfeif.

I'll try running the defrag several times in Safe Mode.

This might be of interest:

I just purged the System restore cache, by disabling and then reenabling System Restore. I also lowered the max. size of the System Restore from ~1,200 Meg to ~800 Meg

Fragmentation rate went down automatically from 11% to 7% for Data Fragmentation.

File Fragmentation remained constant at 1%.

This change happened without my running any defrag utility at all!!!

-eliuri

Edited by eliuri, 13 June 2005 - 08:00 PM.