Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st time here hello. vista changed msconfig to safe mode stuck in boot

• Please log in to reply

alarmo549549

alarmo549549

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I have a Acer laptop. Running vista. Have had many problems. Week ago screen went black. Able to use a monitor with laptop using f5. But although it started up it was running very very slow. Many crashes on Firefox. Online videos played pause play pause play etc. I have had problems with win media player for a long time. Takes minutes for a video to play.now everything lagged and continuous spinning circle. My main concern was for my work. I run my small business with all my info on the laptop. I was overjoyed to be able to run it even with an external monitor. But I was stupid. Being a alarm technician I have always searched and fixed things myself so I refused to accept the PC would not start in safe mode. So using msconfig I changed it to safe mode.restarted and now I'm screwed lol. Should have left well enough alone and backed up my important info but I didn't. So now the laptop starts and tries to go into safe mode but is stuck in a loop.constantly restarting and getting no where. Last known working config and system restore have not changed anything even thought sys restore worked fine same problem. So I researched and found some info to correct this with bcdedit but it is very confusing.many answers in Google but different spaces and I just could not get how to change the boot option to start up normal. So I need help first to get back to being able.to start normal and not in safe mode and once I can do that I can then log in with the problem laptop and go from there. Whew lol thank you in advance. I am using my phone browser right now

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello alarmo549549... and :welcome:

Sorry to hear about your boot-loop problem.  This should be easy to fix, I'll try not to make it too complicated.  To open System Recovery Options menu on your computer:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)

4. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

5. On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

We will want to choose Command Prompt from Recovery Tools and then type the following command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Sometimes you may get an error like the following:

boot configuration data store could not be opened

system cannot find the file specified

In this case, the above command needs to be modified as follows:

bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD /deletevalue {current} safeboot

To verify, use the command listed below.

bcdedit /store c:\boot\BCD

Good luck!  :yeah:

Edited by Fusionbomb, 21 April 2015 - 07:49 AM.