Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W7 won't boot, missing aswRvrt.sys [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

striker121

striker121

• Pip
  • 2 posts

For the last few days I've been on a new PC build. I replaced my motherboard and PSU but otherwise everything else is the same as it's been for awhile. Recently the computer BSOD giving a 0x00000124 and then refused to boot, immediately crashing each time I got beyond the Windows safemode/regular selection. After running startup repair a few times I could start to boot but it always gets to aswRvrt.sys and immediately goes to a black screen with:

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

I've seen some people online suggest that similar problems were malware related so I figured I'd ask here. In the past I had a power failure on my old PSU that caused random corruption so there are probably a number of leftover corrupted files related to random programs installed. I was able to get Windows fully working afterwards though and was just left with a few files here and there screwed up. Not sure if it's relevant to this problem but I imagined it might give some context to the FRST log. That said, it almost seems like the log is a list of all the services and programs running at the time of the BSOD. There's that much overlap with what I -know- was running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   83.71KB   686 downloads

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi, this fixlist will remove the Avast services and related drivers. You may need to run repair my computer to achieve a boot after this

Save the attached fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe
Attached File  fixlist.txt   2.43KB   870 downloads
FRSTfix.JPG
Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

striker121

striker121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It worked, thanks! A ton of programs give errors on startup so there's been some corruption again but that's a hardware problem I suppose. Surprised it happened even after switching motherboards and PSUs.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would suggest you run chkdsk /r next to clear any bad sectors and file corruptions on the disc.

Once you have done that let me know if there are any further problems

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.