Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashing after RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, I have recently added a 2GB 240-pic unbuff DIMM 256mX64 DDR2 PC-25300 RAM upgrade to my computer. The RAM was said to be compatible with my system through a the Crucial.com website scan

I have a Wins 8 program running on an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz.

I have now encountered numerous crashes as a result. PC Doctor system diagnostics say there are no problems, as does my Norton antivirus software. I have uploaded Wins updates. All without success

Error messages: IRQL_not_less_or_equal

Kernal_security_check_failure

Driver_corrupted_expool

Page_fail_in_non -page_area

Any clues why this is occurring? If it is due to the RAM upgrade I take it I will have to remove the new RAM chip?

Thanks

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

try running the new memory on it's own without the older installed ram and run a memory test program and see if the memory passes, it may just be you where unlucky and got a bad stick.

how to test for bad ram :- http://www.online-te...for-bad-memory/

:popcorn:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I would suggest using memtest86 as that is a good test, but you could also try taking the memory out and see if the problem still occurs. You might have bumped something, but most likely it is a memory issue. It could be the memory or the memory slot.

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

First and foremost make sure you are removing the power cable and discharging the FLEA power from the motherboard before removing or placing any RAM (memory) into a slot. To remove the FLEA power unplug the power cable from the back of the PC and then press down the power button for about 5 secs. Now you maybe remove or install any memory

With the random errors, I would check to make sure memory is seated all the way into the slot first. If you still seeing the issue, like stated above remove any old ram from the computer and try the new ram only. Run memtest as well. It is rare but is does happen that you will get a bad memory stick

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks all. I have done all what you have suggested and the memory tests all come back as OK.  However, the problem still remains,  although it is occurring a lot less often now.  The crash mainly now occurs when I am on Internet Explorer?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Did you try running with the old memory for a bit to see if it occurs with that?

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I have moved the RAM to another memory slot and have not had any problems since (fingers crossed!).