Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Aurora again...

• Please log in to reply

gthang

gthang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, everyone.

Just this friday, I got attacked by various pop-ups. Funny thing is, I switched back to IE from Netscape because Netscape was slowing down so much that if I left my computer on for a day, then came back and checked my mail, It would take forever to get active. I guess I need a memory upgrade.

So after switching back to IE for the better part of a month, I somehow got a pop-up even though my IE is the XP SP2 version. After that pop-up, Spybot S&D gave me a barrage of change requests, all of which I denied in order to prevent my system from being compromised.

Then I found a program called Aurora... you know. So I ran Spybot, which found 73 critical objects. I cleaned house, then ran Adaware SE Personal, which found another 136 critical objects. And I also used Add or Remove Programs to remove the remaining malware.

Aurora has an Add Or Remove Programs entry, but trying that opened an IE browser, which I immediately closed before any malware and scripts could execute.

For now, I've switched back to Netscape, which doesn't seem to activate Aurora's Pop-ups. But once I start IE or Firefox, Aurora activates and gives me pop-up [bleep!].

So I did a search for the title bar text of the Aurora program, and this site was first on the list of sites found. The thread I found had the solution I was going to use, but I can't find it now, since I was unable to bookmark it.

I don't have a HiJackThis log, but The second post in that thread had the expert ask the questioner to use CleanUp! and then run an online virus scan program. I had already downloaded and run CleanUp!, which asked me to restart my comp. I bookmarked the thread, and restarted my computer. However, after my computer restarted, I got back on Netscape to attempt to run the antivirus program. Unfortunately, the page apparently didn't get bookmarked, so now I'm asking for help!

I'll be standing by to give you the information you need to help me. But I won't be able to do anything until after work. So please be patient.

I'll get HiJackThis! after work as well.

If you can help, it'll be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Dear gthang, :tazz:

Welcome to the Geeks to Go forums.

In order for us to study your log, you must do the following:

Please go here and download the latest version of HijackThis: http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=3. Very Important!!! Please create a permanent folder for HijackThis (I suggest C:\HJT or C:\HijackThis) and move the HijackThis program there. HijackThis will create a number of backup files which may be lost, along with HijackThis, if left in a temporary folder.

To create a permanent folder:
Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis".
Now you have C:\HJT\ or C:\HijackThis\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Always make sure you run HijackThis from the permanent folder.

In addition, see the following link: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run HijackThis, have it scan your computer and save a logfile. Copy and paste the entire contents of the logfile here in a reply to this post. ;)