Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crashed hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

bgriswell

bgriswell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, i have a 17 mo old dell 4600i desktop w/2.80ghx processor, 80 gb hard drive and 512 mb memory running with XP that suddenly won't boot. the mouse locked up while in use and when after trying to reboot it makes a clicking noise like a loud clock and gives message that "primary drive 0 could not be found". Naturally, the machine is now out of warranty so I can't get help from Dell!

When I tried to go to set up and run diagnostics it says "no hard drive is installed". the cpu is in desk cabinet where it could not have been bumped or had a cable come loose. i heard the noise the day before but the machine booted. i had been doing a lot of pictures and saving to the hard drive. the machine has a set if lights on back which is supposed to let the user know how to diagnois a problem. the lights are green,green,green,& yellow. The dell booklet says this indicates "other failure has occurred" and to check to see if all cables from the hard drive, cd drive and dvd drive to the system board are properly connected. they are. the dell book says the lights for a hard drive failure are yellow,green,green,yellow. so, i don't know if this is a hard drive failure or not. but, i've heard the clicking noise is a sure indication.

is this a hard drive failure? is there a way to recover the drive if it is...or is it gone? i have a new hard drive in case this one is bad; but it is a seagate and says it is a hard drive "upgrade kit". it has software to install before installing the drive. that would be impossible because the pc won't run anything now.

can anyonw help....i'm not good at the repair business and need all the help i can get. it's not so much i need to recover the data on the old hard drive as it is i need to know what the problem is and how to get a new hard drive installed if this one has actually crashed if it can't be fixed.

thanks to anyone that can help.

mailbev

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
from what you say that is a dead hard drive :-S
probly need to buy a new one.