Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosting on almost any game

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok i have a BT voyager 2000 wireless ADSL modem router connected directly to my pc and i need help setting up a static ip so that i can host online i have a vague idea of how to portforward (something to do with virtualserver on the website) but i need help setting up a static ip and if someone could explain how to properly open the ports i would be really grateful thanks :tazz: anyway i can host on three games, Dawn of War, Rome: Total War and Battle For Middle Earth but i CANNOT host on Warcraft 3, Halo, Counter-strike source and the new Battlefield 2 demo if you can help then PLEASE reply it's really bugging me that me n' my friends have to try and find servers hoping that they aren't full and both join them.

please? anyone?

Edited by inferno_blaze, 13 June 2005 - 01:28 PM.

Advertisements

Thing'e'

Thing'e'

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
You can only get a static IP address from your ISP. Your internet package most probably has a dynamic IP, so if you wish to have a static IP then you will need to contact your ISP. This does not stop you from hosting however!
Here's a guide that I've written just for you. :tazz: Since your router does not seem to support forwarding port ranges, you will have to enter each port individually.

1) Click start, click Run, and then type the three letters cmd into the run box, then press okay (or enter). A command prompt box should come up. Type ipconfig and then press enter. Something similar to this should come up:
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : WorkGroup
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.14
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Copy and paste into a text/word file your network IP address (it's the set of four numbers by the words IP Adress, in my case it's '192.168.2.14'). You'll need these numbers in a minute, not just yet though!

2) Go to http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm and look for the game you first want forwarding, it should give you a list of ports next to each game and wether they are TCP or UDP ports. Note each one down (and wether they're TCP or UDP). You will need to enter all these ports to get it working successfully. To help you with this a little bit I'll give you the ones for Halo:
TCP port: 80
UDP ports:2302 and 2303

3) Open up your router's control panel/website. Click the configuration link on the menu, then click virtual server. Click the 'Create a new server' button.

3) Now this is the part to set up the port forwarding part! The page I gave will tell you if the port being forwarded is a TCP or UDP port (TCP is the left column and UDP is the right column), now in the control panel select from the dropdown box where it says 'Protocol' either TCP or UDP (depending on what the page I gave says). Tick/press the box next to where it says 'User define as'. Now type in the box next to it one of the port numbers listed on the page I gave (you will need to do every port it lists for each game). Next to where it says IP address type in the boxes your IP address for your pc that you got earlier from the command prompt box (each one of the four parts of your IP goes in one box). Next to where it says TCP/IP port, type 0 (this means it will use the same port as the other port you entered further up the page). Click apply.

4) Do step 3 for EVERY port number you need for each game, you'll get the hang of it easily obviously so it shouldn't be too hard.

5) You might want to restart your modem and PC to make sure.

6) Start a server (make sure you leave the default ports as they are, otherwise your work will be rendered useless) and it should be able to be joined by your friends. If you don't know your outside internet IP address (the one you need to give your friends) then go to WhatIsMyIp.com and the website will give you your IP address.

Edited by Thing'e', 13 June 2005 - 02:14 PM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok i have done all that you have said and thank you very much for it but it still doesn't work i believe it may be my firewall because i have mcafee i entered after trying to host on warcraft and in eventlogs it said this: A computer at ALyon (name of website and ip) has attempted an unsolicited connection to TCP port 6112 (one of the ports for warcraft) it also doesn't think that port is used for anyhting is there any way for me to allow mcafee to let things through on this port or would that be a bad idea

Thing'e'

Thing'e'

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
It would be fine to allow a connection to port 6112. I do not have McAfee so I cannot explain how it would be done, sorry. If you cannot work it out yourself I'll take a look around and see what I can do.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok thank you very much you've been a great help so far and i THINK i've found a way to poen ports but i need to test with my friends to see what i have to type in the box where it asks for ports because i don't know if it allows you to type more than one or type 6112-6119 i may have to type each one and perhaps without commas but if you find a way yourself please feel free to post it too me because it be very welcome anyway thanks for all that you've done Thing'e' this site rocks! ;) and hopefully soon i shall be up and hosting
Edit: ok i doubt that it's mcafee because even with the firewall disabled people cant join but anyway i would give a picture of my page but it wont let me and also i didn't restart my router because i don't know how and i'd have to do it when no-one is using the internet could that be a reason? Pease help me i'm really frustrated :tazz: hmm would i have had to select save my settings first? on the bt site?

Edited by inferno_blaze, 14 June 2005 - 09:46 AM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ooook when i click save settings on the voyager.home site thingy it doesn't seem to go anywhere it gets stuck on processing.... any clues?

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
i tried that i.p address and it didnt work. i got an i.p address off limewire that did work so i can host flight sim sessions now