Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet access wanted but disable LAN

• Please log in to reply

nordvark

nordvark

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Hi, I know I can achieve this with firewall rules and allowing only certain MAC addresses but: I have a rather involved home networked of ALL WIRED 6 pcs, nas boxes, media players and tvs, printers etc. What I want to do is infect a pc to learn in practice how to treat it (im in uni here). It would need internet access but no LAN. I have a separate modem and router, and a remote secondary router to act as a wireless access point when required. 

Have spare routers which im thinking to hook one into the existing network to feed this one infected pc. Static ip and no nat. Would that be safely isolated enough from the rest of the lan.

Thanks for looking

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

check to see if your current primary router has a DMZ port/function. a DMZ is a physically or logically segregated port on a router that will keep the traffic separate. anything on a DMZ will just route out to the WAN ip and not across the LAN.

nordvark

nordvark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Hi, and thanks for the response, it has virtual DMZ?

38ZIFnM.jpg