Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb 3.0 ports on mobo dont work

Asus P8 Z77-V pro

Best Answer bruceb3 , 03 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

Figured it out. I went into device manager and deleted the usb drivers and reinstalled them from the Asus website. The external usb 3.0 drive works now. Thanks for the reply, though. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

I have an Asus p8 z77-v pro mobo with an i7-3770k processor. I just bought a 2 tb external drive. When I plug it into a usb 2 port it works fine but when I plug it into one of the 2 blue usb 3.0 ports on the back of the computer, it doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the external HDD for us.

What happens exactly when you connect the device to the rear USB 3.0 ports, is the device not detected by Windows or does the device not power up at all etc.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Sorry. It's a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 tb drive. The little light on the drive lights up but Windows just doesn't  recognize it as a drive when its plugged into one of the blue usb 3.0 ports. When I plug it into a regular usb 2 port, the window pops up asking what I would like to do with the drive. Thanks for the reply.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
✓  Best Answer

Figured it out. I went into device manager and deleted the usb drivers and reinstalled them from the Asus website. The external usb 3.0 drive works now. Thanks for the reply, though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is great news, a job well done on your behalf and thanks for posting the solution so that it may help others  :thumbsup: