Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help! System freezes shortly after boot, seems to be a driver

new build issues

• Please log in to reply

William Oshier

William Oshier

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Please help! I just built a new system and shortly after it boots into windows as it is loading the drivers and services the mouse and screen will lock up, it will operate fine as long as I am in safe mode. The device manager does not show any hardware conflicts and I have stripped the system down to just the motherboard, ram, hard drive, and optical drive, I have loaded the latest video driver which I was abel to install is safe mode but as for any chipset drivers I was able to download them but can't install any board drivers in safe mode as it says the windows installer can't run is safe mode, if I boot in normal windows mode I don't have time to update any drivers before the system freezes, also I have the latest bios version and it is currently set at defaults.
I also have not been able to have enough time to get any windows updates before it freezes.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening or how to work around this? 

Here is what my system is comprised of, or stripped down to at this point:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 8 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10D-16GXM

AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core 5.0Ghz Processor - 8MB Cache, 1866 Max DDR3 - Socket AM3+ - Unlocked - FD9590FHHKWOF

2 each GeForce GTX 550 Ti video cards

OCZ Vector 150 / 480GB solid Solid State hard Drive

LG BD Rom optical drive

Thermaltake Bigwater 760 plus CPU cooler

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W power supply 

Operating System Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit

If there is any other specs you need to know please let me know, at this point I am at whits end, Please help I have to much invested for this not to work,

Thanks in advanced,

Wosh

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello William Oshier... and :welcome:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a particular order in which you should install drivers.  I believe it's something like this:

1. Chipsets (onboard LAN is usually part of chipset drivers)
  2. Video
  3. Sound
  4. Peripherials
  5. Software

If the order of the driver installations isn't the problem, then I have no idea what the issue could be.  :wacko:

Perhaps someone can chime in with another idea or some clarification on the order of the drivers.  :)