Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply

Simon Heise

Simon Heise

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I cant do anything with my video card. not even diablo2 lod works properly. whats going on, the card used to run without any trouble.
which are the points u gotta look on, to get a video card working?
thanks for help

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
first open the case, make sure the video card heatsinks arent clogged with dust. then confirm the fan is working if it has one on the card. it has a power plug to it, make sure that its seated properly.

next go into device manager, see if any devices are giving you alerts- red X's or yellow !'s. if so, let us know what they are and what the reported problem is.

also check the drivers for your card. you may need to update to the latest version.

Simon Heise

Simon Heise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
first of all, thanks
i checked all the above named possiblilities, but neither any problems in the device manager, nor any dust or porblems with the fan appeared.
also i had the latest drivers from the nvidia homepage, so that shouldnt be a problem.
help is recommended, plz

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, what is the card, and how long have you had it?
is the problem recent or ongoing?
describe what the symptoms are, i.e. what display problems are you having?
only in games, or all the time?

Simon Heise

Simon Heise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, the first card i had was asus v9280 td(geforce 4 ti 4200 agp 8x)it worked great, then it broke and i got an asusv9250 back. worked worse than a 2mx :tazz:
then i got a maybe a year old one:
the nvidia ge force 4 ti 4200 8x agp and i have the same problems as with the fx5200 card.
u cant see any problems but the problem in diablo2 lod- there its worse than ever b4.
u cant play without getting stuck all the time and its not because of my connection to the internet thats for sure

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
your jumping between video chipsets. the first card was an nvidia, the second (9250) was an ATI.
I dont know what card you are using now, but you said a 5200, which is another nvidia card.
I would suggest you uninstall all the video card drivers, then use drivercleaner to get any remnants left behind. this will ensure the system is clean for the correct driver install, and should clear the problem up.

Simon Heise

Simon Heise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i just told u which cards i had in my pc:
first was asus-geforce 4 ti 4200 8x- then it broke
second was the fx5200(v9250 is not ati, its nvidia)
third was a 2mx(nvidia too)
and the last one which doesnt work properly is a nvidia ge force 4 ti 4200 8x
and u r idea to reinstall all drivers, ill do it, but i just reinstalled my xp professional. so i think the driver should be the right one

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sorry about that, I misunderstood about the cards.
OK, so you just reinstalled. clean install (formatted discs and started over), or repair install (over top of previous)?
check out you BIOS settings for your AGP, make sure its set for 4x or 8x, whichever is appropriate for you card. also post what the other settings are- fast write, speed, etc.

Simon Heise

Simon Heise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I checked out my bios settings
cpu speed- 2083 mhz
cpu frquency multiple- 12.5x
cpu external frequency- 166/33
memory frequency- 333mhz
cpu vcore setting- auto
cpu vcore- 1,650V
agp voltage- auto
DRAM voltage- auto
System performance- optimal
cpu lvl1 cache- enabled
cpu lvl2 cache- enabled

Chip configuration:
sdram config- by spd
graphics aparture size- 128mb
agp capability- 8x mode
agp fast write mode- disabled
agp performance control- enabled
video memory cache mode- UC

So, i hope u can figure out if i gotta change maybe the fast write setting or somehting else. thx for ur help

Edited by Simon Heise, 16 June 2005 - 06:28 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
theres a couple settings you can play around with, hopefully find the right combination.

set the 8x down to 4x
turn the fast write on
turn the aperature size down to 64

slowing it to 4x often clears up issues, and its only 1-2% slower than 8x.
fast write is usually off unless you have a high end card, but try it anyway
aperature size doesnt seem to make much of a difference performance wise, I have played with that one on my machines and noticed no difference. I have heard some overclockers will turn that setting way down to get a slight (1%) performance increase.