Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need some ideas

• Please log in to reply

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hey, I'm going to be building a computer for my aunt. This'll be the first time I've built a computer, and I need some ideas She needs it to last for a few years, so pretty high mid-end. I'm thinking either at least 3.2 ghz for and intel with HT, or maybe an AMD? the compuer will be used, mostly for office applications, and some bookeeping programs. I need to keep the kase pretty close to 800, cuz she wants an LCD monitor, and a high quality all-in-one printer, and I will still need mouse and keyboard, and speakers. So, total, I need it to be under 1400. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

-Erik

Advertisements

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
So i'm guessing no overclocking huh?

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No, there would be no overclocking. Since my initial post, I've been looking at some different things. I've been I'm probably going to get this bundle:

http://www.tigerdire...1279043&CatId=0.

Any ideas of a PCI Express video card that's not too pricy, but supports a res of 1280X1024? Also, how do you get a case to match the ports on the motherboard? It appears that they are not universal. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well, from what I've seen almost any case will have a back panel that can either come all the way out or will have a panel insert with perferated punchouts for any port configuration you can think of.

--Chris

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
CPU-270
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939

MOBO-85
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram-85
pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Video Card-50
Either 6200 TC or X300 SE HE.

Hard drive-90
Western Digital or Seagate 160 Gb Hard drive SATA 150.

Cd Burner-45
NEC burner

Case-70
Antec case with 350 watt power supply

That adds up to 695. Since your budget is 800, then you can get a better video card if you want.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I'ld go with the above pretty much except you might want to throw in a dvd burner.

I dont know of a current graphics card that cant use that res, its mostly dependant on what the monitor will support.

You might look at the antec sonata piano your aunt will apprecitae you more for giving her a pc that wont make a racket and use all her deskspace.

Motherboards to my knowledge come with the backplate and you take out the one on the case if it doesnt fit.

Mind you if it is for office applications then you dont need a pc like that its kinda overkill, i have a laptop with an old p3 cpu and 256 o ram with 8 megs for the graphics runs every office application ive got and i got it with 2000 pro and all the office packages plus loads of other business stuff on. It runs it all fine.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
the cd burner is also a dvd burner. thats why its 45.