Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc starts for half a second and turns off

• Please log in to reply

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Second handed, no warranty

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

With no obvious damage to the CPU socket that could cause a short and would have shut down the system.

With the 12v cable not plugged in, the CPU will not run, but the CPU fan spins, no short.   Plugging in the 12v cable, the system shuts down, or sometimes boots, then shuts down.

I am pretty sure it is the MB.   No warranty is a bummer.   If you bought it on eBay/Amazon, there should be some type of protection for goods that prove to be bad,

Do you have any means of testing your new CPU, just to make sure it suffered no ill effects from being installed?

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I really don't know how to test it except putting it onto the one of the MB's and try to startup. 

I will try once again plug and unplug everything step by step on both MB's and see what will happen.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Buy a Case/Motherboard Speaker, local or online, which will omit POST beep codes, no need to connect a display, > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html 

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I got that on my new pc i will take it out and plug it into the old MB.

What next?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A pain, but bare bones test.  If the new CPU fits on the old MB, test with only the CPU installed, note the beep code, then test one stick of RAM in every slot, note the results on an envelope, any beep code change?

Do the same for every stick, in a slot you know that works.

Please post results.

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Naah, the new CPU i 1150 and the old is 775

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The only thing I can suggest is try the reply #21 instructions using the Maximus board. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we hear from you.   Have you solved your problem, or need more help?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi,

I still haven't solved the problem.

Been busy lately and didn't have the time for my old PC.

I will have to do the MB speaker switch (from new to old) and wil post the BEEP results.

Cheers and thanks for your help

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: