Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Thread for Shutdown issues

• Please log in to reply

maddog10

maddog10

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello I'm trying to fix a friends laptop. Problem is this laptop is in another country to me. its an Asus and I dont know the version of Windows 8 Heres the problem.

on shutdown normally she waits for the power light to go out then closes the lid. If she closes the lid before this the laptop sleeps(I assume) and she can continue shutdown or restart by pressing the power button.

Now everytime she shutdowns it sleeps, but pressing the power button brings up a blank screen with only the cursor. she cannot get the laptop to come back or shutdown until the battery has run out.

I'm not sure if she has held down the power button and the battery is not one that be easily removed

Since theres a bit of a timezone difference I'd like to bring a range of options. I will suggest turning off the hyrid shutdown, but what else can I suggest

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the setting in Power Options in Cont4rol Panel, Make sure Shutdown (button and Start Menu) is set to Shutdown and not Sleep.

maddog10

maddog10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

she took it to a shop lol