Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install a third hard drive

• Please log in to reply

razor1234

razor1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I have an X58A UD3R motherboard and a 60gb SSD and 1TB HDD. I am looking to add another SSD to replace windows and for larger storage. Do i simply just add this HDD into my computer and boot up windows on my original device and then use a program like clonezilla to copy the windows over onto the new SSD? (Then format the original HDD). I cant fresh install windows as i have windows 7 oem without the disc. 

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

yes, the basics of what you're talking about would be what you would do. if you're familiar with clonezilla then you can use it to clone the current windows partition to the new SSD. if not you can use something like easus disk copy http://www.easeus.co...y/home-edition/