Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has my PC died?

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Yes you can connect it after you get windows loaded on the new drive and fully operational.

Please do not leave it connected while you install windows just to prevent any mistakes.

Let us know when you get the new drive and if you need assistance.

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for everyone's help with this. I'll keep this updated.

No I won't connect the drive until I get the other one running as you say. A fresh install is just connect the HD and insert vista disc isn't it?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

It depends on what type of disc it is. If a recovery disc then probably yes.

If its just an OS disc, then most likely will have to find the board drivers.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks. I think i have both.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

EDIT.

Sorry for the repeated instructions, posted before doing a refresh. 

Yes.

Make sure that the old drive is disconnected  and any other external devices, including USB sticks.  Install the OS, (advice using the full capacity/single partitions at this initial stage) all drivers, anti virus, your chosen browser, office software, then make sure everything is fully updated.

Create Recovery media.   Optional, image the drive.

PSU off, > connect power to the old HDD, > power on and boot to the Desktop, > connect a SATA cable to the old HDD, (perfectly safe as it is Plug and Play)  > start Windows Explorer > My Computer, and see if the drive is detected. 

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for the instructions. As soon as I get the HD I'll install as u state and then update this thread.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
New hard drive is in the PC it is currently on expanding files and has been doing it for a couple of hours. I'm certain it never took this long before?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If it is still stuck, eject the CD, restart the computer, enter the BIOS, is the drive detected?

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It isn't stuck, just very slow to do anything it has loaded vista and going through the motions of updates most of them failed. Every action again is very slow. Even a restart takes forever and it used to be very quick. I'm puzzled

Just to add, a shutdown took over 10 mins and trying to install my graphics card driver from disc is 10 mins into it and taking forever. I looked in BIOS and HD is detected.

Even opening and closing windows is a pain. I an open a window and it takes that long it shows as not responding then it eventually corrects itself.

Edited by p71p, 22 May 2015 - 01:00 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for the delay, been trying to find reasons why such a slow install, can't find a common issue.   Is the install still unsatisfactory?

First, is this your MB? > http://www.ecs.com.t...nuID=16&LanID=0

If yes, this is your manual, http://download.ecs....1.0A)_low-1.pdf

Did you clear the CMOS and set the BIOS to Defaults?

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi, that's okay.

Yes that is my mb, I still have the manual and driver disc although inserting the driver disc gets me part way through installation and stops.

Clear the CMOS? I clicked set to default if that's right?

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
From power up it takes around 7 mins to get to windows screen. Even then anything i try to open takes ages. I then get a message stating windows has blocked some startup programs. Opening that shows 5 programs but they are all permitted. The programs are win32 serup-execute, Microsoft userinit !ogon application, Microsoft windows explorer, Microsoft windows host process (rundll32), windows defender.
Just to add working in any window I instantly get the 'not responding' until it sorts itself out.

Just spotted something, not sure if it makes a difference. On my PC specs it has in my past posts shown 4gb RAM, on my PC it only shows 3.5? Odd.

I keep adding to it as I'm working on the PC. I am currently running a disk check, I know its new but you never know. I am thinking its maybe a startup problem given what I posted earlier.

No issues with HD. I only have the above five mentioned programs in my startup menu, all permitted and all needed.

I'm not going to lie here but I am stumped as to why it is dragging so much. Okay I'll just point out during installation of vista I left my graphics card in and I I have a cordless keyboard and mouse so I left the USB connection in. Aside from those I just carried out an install.

Okay I am now having visions of this tower skating down my road, been working on this all day and I have got nowhere. Time to give up I think.

Edited by p71p, 23 May 2015 - 04:08 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Before you  :smashcomp: Some possible solutions.

The blocked programs are due to User Account Control (UAC) > https://support.micr...en-us/kb/930367  I think the clean install suffered a hiccup, as this should not happen. Try a fix first but I think the best solutions is a clean install again, with some setting adjusted.  

1st run, > https://support.micr...rity_diagnostic

2nd run, >https://support.micr...ware_prevention

3rd, Disable UAC, > some Not recommended, > http://www.speedguid...ac-settings-295 

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks again for the info. I'm going to go straight to a clean install and see how it does it this time. Last time it took over 8 hours to complete because everything dragged. I'll keep posted how it goes.