Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic basic question re autoexec.bat

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Doesn’t my desktop pc with XP have an autoexec.bat file?

How can I view it, edit it?

--- When I click Start\Run cmd and type C:\ dir a*.bat I see I<have> a file autoeec.bat but with 0 bytes. What does <that> mean ?

Thanks. .... batpark

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi batpark :)

The autoexec.bat file, if my memory serves me right, is located at the root of the C: drive. So the one you're seeing right now is the good one. In order to modify it, you can right-click on it and select Modify/Edit. If it's size is of 0 bytes, it means that there's probably nothing in it. Opening it when editing it will show you that.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: Thanks for yourso quick response. I found autoexec.bat in C:\ but when I right-clicked and OPEned it I got the message "AUTOEXEC.BAT is not a valid Win32 file."

I guess it isn't there at alSo what in the booting process tells the PC to open my browser (for example to open Firefox and not Chrome)?

Suppose I want to change from Firefox (my current setting) to Chrome. How do I do that? .... batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Usually, these would be Startup programs, located in the "Startup" folder, or the Run and RunOnce keys from HKCU and HKLM. If you want, I can help you remove the auto-startup for Mozilla Firefox and replace it with Google Chrome?

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I << would >> like to switch from Firefox to Chrome as my start-up browser and would appreciate your help to do so. Am I correct that I can make the switch and still retain my bookmarks and email account (with Yahoo)?

Suppose I opt for Chrome as my start-up: can I still jsu switch back to Firefox (or IE) at any time by clicking FF (or IE)?

As you can see I am a bit confused.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Now you're confusing me. There's a difference between a browser on startup, which means that when you log in Windows, the browser will open automatically, and the default browser, which means that if you click on a link or program that is supposed to open a web browser or webpage, your default web browser will open.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

If you want a specific web browser to open at boot time (bad idea in my opinion) then place a shortcut to it in

C:\Documents and Settings\youraccountname\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Also, autoexec.bat is not used in XP (or Windows 2000). Windows 98 SE was the last one it was used in.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Ztruker: Thank you for your input and advice and disabusing me about foggy memories of W98.  I have been running XP for years without having a good understanding of its details.

Would you or Aura please check me out on the following statements and questions -- either confirm or correct my understandings?

1. The icons in the space to the right of the Start button represent apps in my Start folder (not the StartUp folder), right? They do NOT automatically start up on boot, right? Clicking on any of these icons starts it, right?

2. Apps that DO start up on boot are in the StartUp folder, right? Do these aps show on the desktop? Are they the icons that appear to the left of the date-time on the toollbar?

3. How can I SEE a listing of the apps now in my STARTUP folder? – By clicking

C:\Documents and Settings\youraccountname\Start Menu\Programs\Startup?

4. How do I change the apps int the Startup folder?

5. I have found that some apps (videos with audio tracks) run better under Chrome than Firefox. If I am in Firefox and want to switch to Chrome, do I simply close Firefox and then click my Chrome icon?

I really appreciate your patience. ..... batpark

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You can have IE. Chrome, Firefox, and any other browser installed that you want.

Clicking on their specific icons will start them up.

What you do not want is a browser (IE, Chrome, FF, etc) to auto start when you start the computer. Mainly because it another program starting that will slow boot time and you may not want a browser open.

What you probably have is one of them set as a default browser. In other words, when you click on a link in a document or email it automatically opens a specific browser.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

1. The icons in the space to the right of the Start button represent apps in my Start folder (not the StartUp folder), right? They do NOT automatically start up on boot, right? Clicking on any of these icons starts it, right?

Only the icons under the "Startup" folder in the Start Menu represents programs that are launched on startup (session opening).

2. Apps that DO start up on boot are in the StartUp folder, right? Do these aps show on the desktop? Are they the icons that appear to the left of the date-time on the toollbar?

Programs can be launched on startup via multiple ways. Putting them in the Startup folder in the Start Menu is one method. They do not have to be on desktop (have shortcuts there) in order to start up. When you launch a program, it'll show in the taskbar. If you open your session and a program is launched without your input, it means that this program was set to be launched on the opening of your session.

3. How can I SEE a listing of the apps now in my STARTUP folder? – By clicking
C:\Documents and Settings\youraccountname\Start Menu\Programs\Startup?

Yes, this is right. If you want, click on the Start Menu, go to Show all programs, right-click on the Startup folder and select Explore. It'll open that folder for you and you'll see the programs that are set to launch on session opening under it.

4. How do I change the apps int the Startup folder?

Either delete their shortcut in the folder, or move a shortcut to a program you want to launch in it.

5. I have found that some apps (videos with audio tracks) run better under Chrome than Firefox. If I am in Firefox and want to switch to Chrome, do I simply close Firefox and then click my Chrome icon?

Yes. You can also launch Firefox and Google Chrome at the same time.