Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING DLL!

• Please log in to reply

jlajla24

jlajla24

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so I gotta quit screwing around with this stuff I don't know about. Not quite sure how this happened but I had been getting rid of some stuff using Highjack this and this is what happened.

I restart my computer and right after the initial bootscreen, I get this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I tried rebooting in safe mode with no luck. I tried rebooting from my reinstallation cd to see if I could boot from the disk and repair from there. But it kicks me back out every time and sends me the same error.

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have but myself to blame :tazz: ;)

UPDATE: I've got it to boot from the CD, I'll update if there is one. Thanks

UPDATE AGAIN! Ok so I found in another forum where you can use your installation cd to use the expand function at the dos prompt and take the hal.dll file found on the install cd and copy it to the correct directory on the hard drive. I triied that and it told me it was unable to create file hal.dll 0 files expanded. WHAT NOW!!

Whats weird is when I was trying the expand function, I accidently didn't type the system32 folder in the string.....and it worked. So the hal.dll file is now in the windows folder, but needs to be in the windows/system32 folder. Is there a way to move the dll?

Edited by jlajla24, 13 June 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try a repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

jlajla24

jlajla24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK, so I tried the windows repair install. It seems to work fine. But, it won't finish installing. I get to the screen with bullets once it restarts after using the disk. The bullets are on the left: Collecing date, Dynamic Update, Preparing Install, Installing Windows and Finalizing Installation.

i'm prompted on this screen with a window "files needed". It tells me to type the path where the file is located and press ok. the problem is that neither the keyboard, nor the mouse is working. Both are wireless USB. I do have a ps/2 keyboard. I hooked it up and let the computer reboot to no avail. Just reboots with the same ending, me not being able to type or move the arrow. What can i do? I might be able to get a ps/2 mouse tonite and try that but why would that work when the keyboard wouldn't. Anyway....HELP, lol. I'm so lost Im about to cry. This all stemmed from a freakin virus my bro in law decided to download VIA [bleep] CITY! I'm about ready to take my tower to his house and beat him to death with it. Please help me spare his life.

UPDATE: Keyboard works fine in BIOS. Not sure how to enable them but when I checked under integrated it said USB enabled. So im assuming they are working. But still nothing when i get to the install screen mentioned above.

Edited by jlajla24, 14 June 2005 - 08:43 PM.

jlajla24

jlajla24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The erro message I'm getting is

The file 'asms' on WindowsXP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

What I've read from Microsoft says that this is possibly caused from the Setup not communicating with the cdrom drive. I've read the fix and it just makes no sense to me. I'm lost and confused and ready to totally reformat. Too much info to lose and I swear i will backup everything that ever goes on my computer ever again. ever. Im an idiot for not.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have a scratched or dirty CD? Do you know anyone that has another CD you could try?

jlajla24

jlajla24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Might be able to come up with another cd. You think that might be it? What about the error being found on microsoft?
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q311755

Since it NTFS it mentions installing windows on a new partition. is this reformatting? or just installing a 2nd instance of the operating system? I really dont know quite what i'm doing here. Even when I thought of reformatting I didn't know weather to delete the partition that xp is currently installed on or not. is that correct? I would assume that you would delete it then create a new partition and install the fresh OS there. My brain hurts. sorry for asking 15 continuous questions. See what you can make of my rambling. Thanks so much for at least reading all of this crap.

I'm using the redish purple cd that came with my pc. Its a dell.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A repair installation does not reformat or partition your drive. Either of these options will delete all your data! Is that what you want to do?

Dell has had many different ways of packaging their CD's, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. However, if it says operating system, or Windows XP, it ought to work.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Usually I try running an SFC (System File Check) before a repair install. For data recovery. I would pull out your hard drive, stick it in an external unit on a known good machine, and use that XP to pull your stuff off, to burn to cd or dvd, later. I would then completely wipe the hard drive and install XP, clean. Assuming that you can. Dell sometimes gives out "recovery" cds, which do not exactly work like a real MS XP disk. The other option would be to install XP on another partition (where the OS is NOT installed) When you boot you will have the option between two installations- choose the one you just created. Grab your data with the second installation, save it, then wipe the whole hard drive and start over, again, assuming you can. If your cd has a valid product key, you may be able to borrow someone else's cd, and enter your number.

As far as saving your bro in law's life...well...XP has some great features to limit what damage other users can do. You seem pretty comp savvy-lock him out, and lock him out tight. Make sure you have a good firewall running at all times, and up-to-date virus protection. Norton 04 and up allow you to set a password so that no one can change security settings, and you can limit his XP log in account as much as you like, from w/in XP. Best of luck, and please let us know what you decide to do.
Johanna