Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarting Bios Screen with New External HD

• Please log in to reply

MrPerson

MrPerson

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

So I got a new 5TB external Hard drive from Seagate and after I got done transferring the 1.4TB from my old Seagate 2TB external drive, I found that when i restart my computer, for some reason my computer goes to the BIOS motherboard logo screen where you can press buttons to access the BIOS or where to load the OS, for some reason it just sits there and then it restarts, and goes to that screen again, then restarts until I turn it off. 

Strangely for some reason if I turn off the Multiplug my PC is plugged into, wait for all the power to leave the system (10s or so) then turn on the PC and it starts up normally. Its not a major problem, but it occurs every time I start the computer and I can't imagine cutting power completely to it then restarting it does any good for the PC itself.

Also, as an added detail if it matters, for some reason the lights on my Razor Keyboard and mouse do not turn on like they normally do when the BIOS screen is up until I do the restart like I mentioned above.

Any help would be nice, like I said, its not a major problem, just an annoyance. Hope you understand what I mean. I am not very clear sometimes

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back MrPerson .

Please post a new Speccy URL and a new screenshot of Speedfan.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Hello

Speccy Link:

http://speccy.pirifo...qdcxpIitWnTyVjQ

And The Speedfan pic, at idle status.

Speedfan.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

Does the problem still happen with the external drive disconnected?

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

so what I did was, I disconnected the drive until it got past the BIOS screen, then as windows was loading, I plugged it back in. It booted to windows fine without the drive in, but for some reason, the drive is making all moving objects except text and the mouse move extremely slow after I plugged it back in, when it didn't used to.

What I mean is that, on windows 8, the loading symbol is like 6 dots going around in a circle, well after I plugged in the drive, it was like they were going in slow motion. Both at the boot screen and at the login screen. The other thing that was moving extremely slow is the steam alerts. If you have never used Steam, when you log in, on the bottom right corner of your screen, it pops up and tells you what friends are playing games. That was moving at like 1/4 the speed it normally does.

The other thing I noticed while typing this is that for some reason, I cant hold down a button to make it type multiple letters very fast, and I cant hold the backspace to make it delete quickly, I have to keep mashing it to delete things.

Its very strange, so far just booting the PC once, then turning it off, resetting the multiplug, and then booting it seems like it works much more smoothly

*Edit

I also noticed that now  youtube videos seem more choppy after doing it this way, they still play, but it seems like its almost at a lower framerate, and when I click the video to pause it, it takes like 2 seconds for it to register my click for some reason.

How could a drive affect all this?

Edited by MrPerson, 26 May 2015 - 11:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is the OS fully updated?   Are drivers updated, Chipset being important. 

Without the external drive connected > start Task Manager, note what's running, also look at the services tab, > plug in the drive, does anything alter? especially services usage.

Do exactly the same for your AV.   Providing you don't direct download to the drive, disable scanning on it.

Disable indexing on the drive.

Have you a Swap File on the drive?

Have you an automatic backup configured?

Did you unplug the drive without using the Safely Remove dialogue?

external drive connect, enter the BIOS, storage, what device are listed and in which order.  

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

if you don't mind me saying so, I don't think any of that is the problem. what I just tested (and what I figured is the problem anyway) is that for some reason, the drive does not turn itself on automatically when the PC starts, and somehow that messes with the PC.

For example, when it just sits there and loops the BIOS screen like I originally posted, the blue light saying the drive is on is not on. However when I reset the multiplug its connected to, it turns on.

So what I just did was before turning on the PC, I just unplugged the Drive's power cord then re-plugged it back in, which turned the light on, then started the PC. That worked and it runs normally.

So its not really a problem with the OS or the computer itself, its just that for some reason the drive not being on messes with the startup process and I just have to force it on before I start the PC.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

for some reason my computer goes to the BIOS motherboard logo screen where you can press buttons to access the BIOS or where to load the OS,

The BIOS appears to be looking for a source to Boot from, I think it gets stuck at the external drive.  

for some reason the lights on my Razor Keyboard and mouse do not turn on like they normally do when the BIOS screen is up until I do the restart like I mentioned above.

I disconnected the drive until it got past the BIOS screen, then as windows was loading, I plugged it back in. It booted to windows fine without the drive in, 

Either the BIOS is not detecting the USB ports, or does detect them, (keyboard lights flash once,) then supposed to hand off to the OS, for some reason this not happening with the external drive connected but is OK without it connected.

(and what I figured is the problem anyway) is that for some reason, the drive does not turn itself on automatically when the PC starts,

If the USB Ports have not been activated, the drive will not start, especially if it depends on power from the port. 

Please do the following.  With the external drive disconnected. Boot the computer and enter the BIOS, go the the exit screen, > load Default or Safe setting, > Save and Exit. you will boot to the desktop.

Restart and enter the BIOS again, Go to the Boot Screen, arrange the Boot order, 1st HDD, 2nd CD, 3rd USB, if a floppy disc is listed, place it last and Disabled, go to the Exit Screen, > Save settings and Exit. You should boot to the Desktop.

Plug in the external drive, a Found New Hardware should pop up and then say ready.  Reboot the computer with the drive still connected.

Does it now run OK?

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Sorry, I will be going out of state for a relative's marriage, I will get back to you on it as soon as I can.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: .

I hope you have a good trip. 

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Well it was close.

After resetting the BIOS, then restarting, then putting in the load order you said, it actually turns on and starts to spin up the drive when it gets to the BIOS screen, but for some reason it still restarts the PC, which shuts back off the drive again, and when it restarts it turns back on, but the PC still restarts. 

So we got it to turn on, but it still restarts itself at BIOS for some reason.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Please confirm this is your MB, > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2957#ov

You are still usingg the original BIOS, so I think it might be useful to do an update, Providing the external USB device is not connected, the system is then stable and you are comfortable performing it.  Use the Gigabyte download tool, > http://download.gigabyte.com.tw/to analyse your system.

It still looks like the BIOS is not finding a valid boot device.   when the external drive is connected, I think it is trying to Boot from that drive. possible solutions.

Please check that the OS boot drive is connected to the MB SATA2_0 port.

I will take it here, that the BIOS is still set to Defaults, except for any boot order you set.

With the external drive plugged in, Boot and enter the BIOS, > Go to the Integrated Peripherals > tab down to USB Storage Function > Set to Disable. > Go to the Exit Menu, Save setting and exit.   Now during POST, the external drive should not be seen. 

If you now Boot to the Desktop.   Go to Disk Management and see if Windows has now detected the external drive.  

Your MB manual, > http://ftp.sleepgate...8-extreme_e.pdf

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

will follow steps above in a bit, but just so you know ( I feel you may be mis-interpreting what I mean) windows can detect the drive and use it like any other, only once I unplug and re-plug the external before booting the PC.

From what you said above, you made it sound like you think windows is not seeing it at all.

Its just an inconvenience and was hoping it would be a quick fix lol.

will look at the bios thing after work.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well it was close.

After resetting the BIOS, then restarting, then putting in the load order you said, it actually turns on and starts to spin up the drive when it gets to the BIOS screen,

A.  I take this to mean,  the BIOS detects the external drive and looks for a valid boot, an OS, or bootable USB stick.   It should move on to look for the next Bootable device, but does not.   Possibly a more recent BIOS update that enhances USB 2.0 boot function may help.

but for some reason it still restarts the PC, which shuts back off the drive again, and when it restarts it turns back on, but the PC still restarts. 

So we got it to turn on, but it still restarts itself at BIOS for some reason.

A.   Not finding a valid Boot, the computer enters a loop.

Disabling the USB Function may enable a Boot to the OS HDD. 

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

sorry for not posting, been busy lately, still am. Will get back to you soon on that hopefully