Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp service pack 2 crashed my system

• Please log in to reply

chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi guys
After you so generously helped me with a virus/malware issue and got my computer clean, I decided to do the right thing and finally update my windows xp..Downloaded the critical updates and installed them...Then against my better judgement I let it install service pack 2..I have heard so many issues with it...Well once installed and the computer rebooted..The desktop was blank except my wallpaper..no icons, no start button...NOTHING..So I went into safe mode, uninstalled service pack 2...and it went down hill from there...The computer wouldn't stay on long enough to sign on to the internet to ask you guys what I could do..Did some virus scans and spyware scans in safe mode (computer would stay powered on in safe mode sometimes) to no avail...found nothing...
So today after it shut off 4 times..I gave up and tried a system restore to prior to installing ANY windows updates...Computer shut off again during restore..
Long story short I had to do a reformat which made me an unhappy person today.

Any suggestions? I am afraid to do any windows updates now..Especially service pack 2..Have you ever heard of this? I suspect a fan issue inside the computer..but once I reformatted, it doesnt shut off anymore..

I am scratching my head...Thanks in advance for reading about my computer drama :tazz:

Chris

Advertisements

2fkn40

2fkn40

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i would jus reformat, reinstall the os and try the sp2 update again. thats what i did and the pc worked fine from there

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
thats what i would do
you have already formatted so nothing to loose

chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok I will try it..Just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening. Or if I should just skip the updates altogether.
Thanks
Chris

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
the only up date I would consider missing is kb 8971711

chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip