Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Presario laptop - Infected?

Windows XP Slow Virus Malware Adware

• Please log in to reply

Forerunner343

Forerunner343

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello all,

The Presario laptop I mentioned in my last post was a gift from my great grandfather for my birthday in 2008. Back then, it ran plenty fast. However, nowadays, there are times it runs slower than a snail on sleeping pills. I was wondering, is this because of a virus or malware? I never really liked Norton internet security, as the program takes up around 360 MB on my C:\ disk. But I've gone off on a tangent. Returning to the topic, I have noticed that some programs take much longer to load than they should be taking. Is my computer infected? Is it a virus, or is it malware? Or, if it isn't those, is it adware? At startup, some dodgy programs that say they're "Scanning for errors" pops up. I've never installed anything like that. What course of action do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

Forerunner343

Advertisements