Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My external monitor stopped functioning after a Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

unsmiley

unsmiley

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

I have a dual monitor set up with my laptop.  I use one external monitor (Dell 2001FP) with it, powered by an external video adapter.  Never had a problem until my most recent Windows Update.

Windows 7 64 bit

Iogear GUC2020DW6 adapter/DisplayLink Core Software

Computer has integrated graphics:  Mobile Intel R4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics

I get a DisplayLink Software warning that "DisplayLink installer has detected that your Mobile Intel ®4 Series Express Chipset family graphics drivers could have compatibility issues when used with DisplayLink software.  It is recommended that you check your laptop manufacturers or graphics card vendor website for an updated graphics driver before using DisplayLink software."  It then gives a choice to Cancel or Continue anyway.  According to my checks, the drivers are all up to date with both video cards. 

Not sure where to start.   Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

One option is to backout the recent update. It could be that it has a problem, which might get fixed in a future update.

unsmiley

unsmiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

One option is to backout the recent update. It could be that it has a problem, which might get fixed in a future update.

How do I do this?  I would love to reverse those updates.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I think it is through the control panel and under one of the . I don't normally use Windoze and don't have one up right now.

A web search finds this:

http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

unsmiley

unsmiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I think it is through the control panel and under one of the . I don't normally use Windoze and don't have one up right now.

A web search finds this:

http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

I actually found that yesterday and was able to uninstall all the updates except one.  But the external monitor problem still exists.  (Maybe it is the one update I could not uninstall that is the cause of the problem.)

Edited by unsmiley, 06 June 2015 - 05:14 PM.

unsmiley

unsmiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

-- ignore -- duplicate post --

Edited by unsmiley, 06 June 2015 - 05:20 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It could be that update, or you might have to re-install an older update since the new update would remove it.

unsmiley

unsmiley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

It could be that update, or you might have to re-install an older update since the new update would remove it.

Yes I agree it could be the update that is apparently not able to be uninstalled.  (Which brings me to another question:  How come Windows won't let me uninstall that one update?)

But I do not understand the rest of your post.  You mean uninstall even older updates and reinstall them?  How would I know which one(s) to remove?  Remember the monitor was working up until my most recent updates done on a single day this week. 

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

What I mean is that when the new update was installed, the older one was removed, so you might have to re-install the older update to get back to where you were.

You might check to see if you can go back using system restore:

http://windows.micro.../system-restore