Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM okay?

• Please log in to reply

rwfromkansas

rwfromkansas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I recently got 512 MB of RAM from Crucial because I was sick of my computer slowing down and not working as fast as it used to (been on 256 since I got it in 2002 except for a brief time when I tried to upgrade).

Anyway, it appears to work fine......computer recognizes it and everything, no beeps or error messages when I started it up.

However, I want to make darn sure since I had a bad memory chip once before and it didn't really pose too many symptoms (that brief time when I upgraded). Now, my computer (Dell Dimension 4550 400 bus) is definitely running faster and everything, but the one thing I have noticed, at least the first time I rebooted, was that the computer lagged on the welcome screen. It didn't really take more time to load up than normal, it just showed the welcome screen for XP longer than usual.

I find this annoying, and wonder if there is a way to fix it. It will probably stop in a couple days, but I also thought I better check and make sure it may not be a sign of a RAM problem. I am doubtful since the welcome screen lag seems to be something that happens for a couple days whenever I do an upgrade, at least sometimes.

But, I don't want to take any chances.

Some more questions....I have a different brand of memory for the other RAM stick. Is this okay? Some forums say it is a bad idea to mix RAM brands. If so, I may get another stick of Crucial memory.

Both sticks are DDR DIMM 2100, though one says 2100U. What does the U stand for....are these 100 percent compatible? One stick is CL 2.5 and one is CL2. What does this mean, and does it present compatibility issues?

One more thing. I installed the new, bigger stick in slot 1, though I did not realize it was slot 1 instead of 0 at the time. Now, I have looked and my computer manual does not indicate the sticks have to be put in a particular order; it doesn't really care, and I also read online that for DIMM DDR, you do not have to have the bigger stick in slot 0 like I have read people saying you must do to avoid doom and failure on other forums. Is this correct?

If they must be put in the order from 0 to 1, I need to switch the sticks.

As far as I know, the memory is working fine. The computer is running much faster.

Are there any software programs I can download that will monitor the RAM and confirm it is working fine?

But, after that last experience, I want to make dang sure it is, so sorry about being anal in this post.... I am probably fine, but there are people smarter than me. I just know how to install the sticks. I can't do all the diagnostics stuff.

Edited by rwfromkansas, 13 June 2005 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Try this memtest http://www.memtest86.com/#download0
also try to be a little bit less paranoid im sure that your sticks are most likely fine and that your boot is normal for what you got. sometimes things slow down a bit for stupid reasons but its not something that should alarm you. A better test would be to test the heat of your ram, which is easier said then done. Hey but if your interested in getting to know whats up with your computer and trouble shooting and [bleep] i would suggest checking out this guys webpage its pretty sweet. http://users.iafrica...irke/bthink.htm