Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell upgrade

• Please log in to reply

k41390

k41390

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a Dell XPS M1330 that has (surprisingly) worked great since 2008. The HDD has started to run hot and I'd like to replace it with an SDD, however I no longer have the Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit installation disk. I do have the product key.

Is there a way I can copy my version of windows on to a flash drive, external drive, or cd and use that to re-install?

Thank you

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Pick up a universal USB drive adapter and connect the old HDD to it, then install the SSD and use a bootable CD/DVD/FLash drive of Macrium Reflect Free or CloneZilla to clone the old drive to the new SSD.

Better would be to do a clean install to the SSD then copy your data from the old HDD to the new SSD.

You can get a Vista install ISO this way:

Request a Vista ISO with SP1 and SP2 included

Ppost here and ask Peter (Ex_Brit) to send you the link to the versions of Vista you need, 32 or 64. Include your E-mail address mucked up, like   abc at  xyz DOT com  then edit your post and remove it as soon as you receive the link.

The ISO Peter provides has both SP1 and SP2 applied.

Pick up the Tutorial: How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB here:

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

During the install, when asked for the key, don't enter it. You will then be given a menu where you can chose the version you want to install.

Activate once the install is completed.