Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosting Images

• Please log in to reply

Slacker

Slacker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I was wondering if there was a way to host images on your own, possibly off of your own website. Can anyone help me out?

Advertisements

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Do you mean right off your PC? If so, then get apache and you can do it that way.

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
what's apache?

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
To put it simply, Apache is software you install on your computer to make it a 'server'. It might not be the best of an idea to install Apache if you have dial up, specialy if you are going to host images on it. Beacuse what happends is when you are offline, your images won't display. If you want to host images right of your computer, the only thing I think that would work best is to use apache. First, what's your current internet speed? (Dial-up DSL....)

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i have cable, where do i get that application?

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
http://mirrors.isc.o...-x86-no_src.exe

That's the best version I can find, the newer one gave me problems so I use an earlier realese, this will do just fine for what you want it for, download load it, and may I ask if you have AIM or Yahoo? I can give you instructions from there if you get confused.

Next you will want to is visit http://dyndns.org/ and sign up for free and get a Dynamic domain (free of course). Keep in mind the domain.

Next fire up the Apache installer, and click next until you reach a screen that says

Server Domain put your dyndns domain here (do not put http:// or www)
Server Name put localhost
Admins email put your email, next keep clicking continue until apache installs.

Next what you want to do is open your browser and in the url go to localhost. just plain localhost.

You should get a screen that says something about "Not get the site you were expecting to see?" that's good that means apache has succefuly been installed and your PC is now a server.

Now go to where you installed apache (the default is drvie C program files) and click on the Apache Group folder. The contents of this folder are Apache and Apache2. Proceed to the Apache folder. Inside find the htdocs folder. Inside delete all the files, and make a folder called images or something. Now put your pictures you want inside the images folder (or whatever you named it) and lets say I put in a picture called 'me' without the ' 's and the picture name ends with an extension of jpg. I will open my browser and point it to my dyndns domain/images(or whatever you named the folder)/me.jpg, and it should pull the image up.

Now let's say I wanted to put a picture in my signature for GeekstoGo! then I would use the image tags with the picture's URL.

Example has previous.
"[img ]mydomain.dyndns.org/images/me.jpg][/img]"

Hope I helped and if you are confused send me a PM of a name of a messenger service you use, and I will send you my screen name and I can walk you through it again. I'm not the best at explaining things, but I hoped I helped.

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
if you have xfire my sn is slckr07

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Better yet, install Apache and friends. Be sure to uninstall any previous versions of PHP MYSQL and Apache. You can download it here after installation fire up the control panel and start Apache. Now go to your apachefriends folder and find your htdocs folder. Delete it all, and replace what images you want to host on it.

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i got it to work, whats the difference in the programs. is that one better

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Yes it is, it comes with PHP, MYSQL, and APache, this way if you ever need MYSQL and PHP your set. VERY useful if you ever decide to install a bulletin board. So let's see some images hosted from your PC :tazz:

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
well i havent installed the apache and friends but my signature is one thing i hosted so far, you can see it right?

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
not at the moment no. Are you online all the time like DSL?

Slacker

Slacker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ya, its cable, why cant anyone elst see it

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Is your computer ever off?

Thing'e'

Thing'e'

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
You're linking to http://localhost/images/slacker.gif - this won't work! :tazz:
Replace localhost with either your IP address or your dyndns dynamic domain. If you've set everything else up correctly it should work.