Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with Internet Security Products (specifically Comodo)

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I am using free versions of Avast + PC Tools Firewall Plus + Manual scan of MBAM + Manual SAS + Advanced SystemCare 8 + Clean Master + CCleaner + IObit Malware Fighter + Spyware Blaster in the background.  I've never had any real problems until recently when I was infected with something pretty bad.  I have already addressed that issue on another forum (with no answers as of yet).  But I have been searching around for a complete suite (sorta) and ran across CIS.  From what I've read it is free, but every link I click on takes me to the pro version.  Does anyone know of a good site with easy instructions on how to download the free version?  Also, what programs would I need to use with CIS?  Should or can I keep some of the ones I have been using?

One other thing...Is CIS easy to use for someone who is not computer savvy at all?  I need to find a free or cheap suite for my somewhat computer illiterate aunt that will keep her from having to answer pop-ups all the time.  As for me, I can handle some of it.   :spoton: 

All help would be greatly appreciated!  THANKS IN ADVANCE!   :D 

Advertisements

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Edited by Natalie Green, 17 June 2015 - 11:53 PM.

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Edited by Natalie Green, 17 June 2015 - 11:56 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi BeachBumBum :)

warning.gifIObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from IObit installed on your system. IObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", IObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Most of their features can be replaced by using other programs, often, utilities that requires no installation or that are already "built-in" inside Windows. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every IObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Below are articles that relates the Malwarebytes VS IObit episode and also why IObit failed as a company and within it's products.warning.gifPC Booster/Tune-Up Program Warning!
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:I suggest you to uninstall the following programs:
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus - Discontinued;
  • Advanced SystemCare 8 - Useless and dangerous;
  • Clean Master - You have CCleaner already;
  • IObit Malware Fighter - Useless;

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Okay, I uninstalled everything you asked except for my PC Tools Firewall.  I need a firewall, because avast! don't come with one.  I have been using PCTF for years now with no problems.  Why do you want me to uninstall my firewall?  Also, would you recommend Comodo Internet Security in place of what I already have?

Edited by BeachBumBum, 18 June 2015 - 08:57 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Since PC Tools Firewall have been discontinued, you cannot consider the program safe to use anymore. And if you uninstall it, your Windows Firewall will be enabled.

Why You Don’t Need to Install a Third-Party Firewall (And When You Do)
5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls

If you install Comodo Internet Security, you'll have a firewall, so you can get rid of PC Tools Firewall. Also, if you install Comodo Internet Security, you'll need to get rid of avast! since you shouldn't have more than one Antivirus program installed at a time on a system. Read the "IMPORTANT NOTE" at the bottom of the article below.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Aura, I understand that I can't have more than one antivirus program running, that's why I asked you if you would recommend Comodo in place of avast! and PC Tools Firewall.  I've heard really good things about Comodo free Antivirus, and I was considering using that instead.  But if it's not any better than what I have, then I will just keep avast!  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thank you.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Personally, I would use avast! with the Windows Firewall. COMODO Internet Security is good, but I'm not a big fan of it.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Thank you for your recommendation.  I guess I will keep avast!  I got rid of the PC Tools Firewall.  It was actually a nuisance anyways.  Now if I can just get my last thread reopened to check for maleware, I will be in good shape.   :spoton:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem BeachBumBum, you're welcome :)