Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the case of the disappering drivers

• Please log in to reply

modelcitizen

modelcitizen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[FONT=Impact] I got an update from microsquish and now my tdk 4800b driver is gone... and what makes matters worst, I have installed it 5 times!!!!!!! ( just a wee bit heated)

I have a firewall/router combo, up-to-date virus protection, and have ran all of them. first in safe mode then in normal mode... no bugs. so if there is a God ( or Goddess, prophet, shaman, voodoo high priestess worshiping the snap crackle pop of the internet) PLEASE OH PLEASE HELP!! I have a dead line for work and need the files off that cd to finish my project. (no there really isn't anywhere else I can do it... all sensitive stuff)

thank you

MC

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Go to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your CD-RW, you probably have a faulty installation application.

modelcitizen

modelcitizen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried that. Didn't work. I downloaded it. installed. uninstalled reinstalled and just because I am virgo and slightly crazy I did it two more times before I joined up on this site. Nada. and now my sound is going weird. Now I have had the hardware for about one year, and have done updates of all kinds before, so i know my way around a pc. This is different

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

remove your cd-rom

reboot.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows will rededect and reinstall the drive.

Now, if it does not...is there anything you are not telling us...uninstall any burning software or reinstall, or install?

modelcitizen

modelcitizen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok once again the fabu brain cells at microsquish (3 level above dell i meant [bleep]) made me go through [bleep] to tell me that the problem is n my bios. oh and that she couldn't help me. thanks uncle bill.

the problem is my cd-rom is running in seperate memory. don't ask how, i have someone helping me build a website so I can sell my music cd.

thoughts, concernes, dirty politically incorrect statements and/or jokes?

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Try system restore, and if that doesn't work, just remove your new driver and use the old one. It could be faulty. :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here are a couple of things to try:

1. the following patch seems to work occassionally on disappearing cdroms
CDGONE patch

2. have someone knowledgable with the registry remove upper & lower cdrom filters, if present