Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan horse psw generic 12 [Solved]

avg generic psw trojan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Hello eevie,

Welcome back, and thanks for the logs so far.  There are some things we need to address or take care of:

• The Windows Repair log is incomplete
  • The AdwCleaner log is from 2014 (yes you are correct about where it ran from). A newer copy of AdwCleaner shows in your FRST scan to be located on your Desktop.
  • I don't see a JRT log

But never mind the logs for right now.  Since AVG keeps fighting us and it is outdated, we are going to get rid of it for now.  Then I'll have you install a good free Anti-Virus program to continue.

If the ill machine still doesn't have Internet access, the tools/programs linked to below can all be downloaded to your USB stick for use on the ill computer.

First
Programs uninstall
Go to the Control Panel > Uninstall a program or Programs and Features, and uninstall the following programs:

• AVG 2013 (any and all versions of AVG that are present)
  • AVG Web TuneUp (if still present after removing AVG 2013)

Second

Use the AVG Reset Access tool to repair any corrupted access rights to AVG files

• Save all your work, close all documents and running programs.
  • Download the AVG Reset Access tool.
  • Close all running programs.
  • Run the downloaded file, and then click Accept to confirm the license agreement.
  • Click Continue to apply the fix. Your computer will be restarted.

Third
Use AVG Remover to remove any previous version of AVG, or its parts.

• Download the AVG Remover tool.
  • Run the downloaded file, and then follow the instructions in the tool.
  • When prompted, click Close to restart your computer. Up to two restarts may be required to finish the removal process.

Test Internet access.

Fourth
When the AVG removal process is complete and you are no longer prompted to reboot, download Microsoft Security Essentials (to your USB stick, if needed).
Run the program on the ill computer and complete the steps to install it.

Test Internet access.

Finally
Let me know how the computer is running and if you have your Internet access back. :)

Advertisements

eevie

eevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi, I could not get either AVG tool to work, the first one ran for over an hour, at this point the system clock stuck, so I think maybe the computer just hanged.  On restart I tried the next tool, this gave a no connection error.

I will be away again this week, for over a week.  I really do appreciate the time you have spent trying to sort this out.  But I think I'm now going to have to take my computer and leave it at my local computer shop.  I have my data backed up and I will try and find my keys for office to see If I can download again if they have to reformat.

I have used online help to sort out my computer problems before, this is usually my first port of call as I appreciate how knowledgeable and helpful you guys are.  Thanks very much again for your time.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Hi eevie,

I understand your frustration with this, and that it is your decision to continue or not.  Your patience is commendable.  :thumbsup:

I'd like to continue trying myself, but whether or not you decide to continue, I would really appreciate it if you could answer these questions for me:

1. Were you able to uninstall the AVG software? 
  2. You did download the tools to your USB stick and transfer them to the ill computer?  Remember, the machine shouldn't have Internet access (yet).
  3. Did you try to right-click and select "Run as Administrator" when running the tools?

If you truly wish to discontinue our attempts to repair your system, I have prepared some information for you that may help you reinstall yourself, or possibly create your own Installation media for you or someone else to use.  I'll be here either way... :)

eevie

eevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi

The uninstall of AVG seemed to work., it removed it from the application list.

I did download to usb then put them on the desktop to run as administrator,  I did try a few times, but they would not work.  The computer ran really slowly and after I had started one of these programs on it the hard drive continued to be active and the computer would not shut down.  I went to shut down and nothing happened I even  left the computer for over 1/2 hour and when I went back still nothing had happened, so I had to resort to holding in the off button to force shut down.  The only time it did shut down was if I turned on and just browsed eg looked at my outlook stored emails, then it shut down ok.

I was a little puzzled by the second tool returning a no connection error as I knew there was no Internet, but again I did follow the process a few times.

It was taking me well over an hour to run through the procedures due to the slowness of the computer and the last few weren't working as they should, I expect.

Thanks for your help and not giving up.  As I mentioned I will not be here for the next week and I have quite a bit of stuff I need to be doing so I have dropped it at the shop today.  I have my data so that's the important bit.  I don't usually like to give up as I do like to sort things out myself and sometimes learn a little more.

Your instructions were very clear and easy to follow and I appreciate what you guys do, thanks again.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Thank you for explaining, and for the complements.  It has been my pleasure. :)

I'm sorry to see you go eevie, but I certainly understand.  I'd like to commend you for sticking around so long with this as well. :thumbsup:

I had prepared some things that might help you with a reinstall, so I'll leave them here in case you are interested (although it sounds like it may be too late):

• Try installing Dell Backup & Restore which may let you create your own installation media (here is a video tutorial), or
  • Contact Dell with the information you provided me in Post #32 and request a copy of your Windows 7 installation media.  Hopefully you would only have to pay for shipping and a modest media charge in order to get a copy of a Windows 7 Installation DVD.

I'm not sure if you have the installation media for Office, but there are free versions like Kingsoft Office available if you are looking for a free one.. :)

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything else from me, and don't forget we have some very knowledgeable folks here that can help you with re-installation issues if needed...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.