Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 PC high RAM usage doing simple things

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

My Windows 7 laptop is currently using half its RAM just surfing the internet and running Skype. Is there something wrong? I have 4GB of RAM on it. I got an error saying something about physical memory while trying to load a webpage but I did not cap it nor do I remember what it said.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 25 June 2015 - 02:54 AM.

Advertisements

Axephilic

Axephilic

Visiting Staff

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Windows 7 using 2GB of RAM with a few things loaded is completely normal. Windows 7 itself uses just under 1GB normally for the operating system alone.

That error about physical memory on the other hand could be an issue, but without you telling us exactly what the error was, it's hard to say.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Windows 7 using 2GB of RAM with a few things loaded is completely normal. Windows 7 itself uses just under 1GB normally for the operating system alone.

That error about physical memory on the other hand could be an issue, but without you telling us exactly what the error was, it's hard to say.

I would tell you guys if I could remember what it said. It has not happened again since. Maybe it was a one time glitch.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

2GB used is not bad, but it may be caused by programs starting at boot time, worth looking into: See here:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Here is a screen cap of the error.

245y1iv.png

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

GWX is the new advert Microsoft is pushing to all Windows computers to encourage people to reserve their copy of Windows 10 which will be released on Jult 29 2015.

Getting an error in that is not good, something is corrupted.

The GWX stuff comes in with Microsoft updates: KB 3035583. Try uninstalling it from Control Panel, Programs and Features, View installed updates (on left). Reboot when done and the problem should be gone. The update will be reinstalled at some point in the future.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

GWX is the new advert Microsoft is pushing to all Windows computers to encourage people to reserve their copy of Windows 10 which will be released on Jult 29 2015.

Getting an error in that is not good, something is corrupted.

The GWX stuff comes in with Microsoft updates: KB 3035583. Try uninstalling it from Control Panel, Programs and Features, View installed updates (on left). Reboot when done and the problem should be gone. The update will be reinstalled at some point in the future.

Does this mean I have a virus?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

No   it does not necessarily mean that you have a virus

However if you suspect that your computer may be infected then you could go here:

http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Regards

paws