Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC May Be Infected? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

When you are in a Clean Boot state, all third party services/applications are disabled so we can determine if the issue you are having is Microsoft related or 3rd party related. It's usually the later. Or are you saying that you can no longer type them in Normal mode either?

My approach was to determine if things work in Clean Mode. If we can establish that then we can start other programs in batches to see which one is causing your issue.

I can type most normal letters but it's just signs like the EUR sign, sometimes my "@" and " keys get mixed up and others like that. I think it is something in the keyboard settings.

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Was this happening before you came to the forum for assistance?

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Was this happening before you came to the forum for assistance?

I know that the mixed up keys has been happening awhile but I'm unsure about the EUR sign as it has only disappeared lately.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

You may want to try a different keyboard unless you have a laptop. I also wonder if your KeyScrambler program may be causing issues as well. You may want to try uninstalling it just to see.

Everything still OK in a Clean Boot? If so we'll continue to narrow down your issue. I know you said it's intermittent so I want to wait long enough until you're sure the issue is not present.

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

You may want to try a different keyboard unless you have a laptop. I also wonder if your KeyScrambler program may be causing issues as well. You may want to try uninstalling it just to see.

Everything still OK in a Clean Boot? If so we'll continue to narrow down your issue. I know you said it's intermittent so I want to wait long enough until you're sure the issue is not present.

For some odd reason I can now do the € sign...

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Let me know when you feel that the issue is no longer present and we will continue. I know you said it's intermittent so I want to wait long enough until you're sure the issue is not present. Thanks.

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Let me know when you feel that the issue is no longer present and we will continue. I know you said it's intermittent so I want to wait long enough until you're sure the issue is not present. Thanks.

I think it might be back for good lol.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Not sure what you mean. You have the issue still in a Clean Boot?

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Not sure what you mean. You have the issue still in a Clean Boot?

No I do not.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Cool. Now we just need to narrow down what program is causing your issue. If you would like to do this, please perform the following steps.

1. Right-click your Start button and choose Run.

2. Type msconfig in the Open box and click OK.

3. Click the Startup tab and click the Open Task Manager link.

4. All of the Startup tasks should be Disabled currently because you are hopefully still in a clean boot.

5. Right-click and enable all of these tasks.

6. So at this point you are in a Clean Boot state with the exception of the Startup tasks.

Reboot and let me know if your problem reoccurs.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Cool. Now we just need to narrow down what program is causing your issue. If you would like to do this, please perform the following steps.

1. Right-click your Start button and choose Run.

2. Type msconfig in the Open box and click OK.

3. Click the Startup tab and click the Open Task Manager link.

4. All of the Startup tasks should be Disabled currently because you are hopefully still in a clean boot.

5. Right-click and enable all of these tasks.

6. So at this point you are in a Clean Boot state with the exception of the Startup tasks.

Reboot and let me know if your problem reoccurs.

Thanks.

Yeah it's freezing again.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, so now we know it's one of the Startup programs causing your issue. The best way to narrow this down is to go back there and disable half of them and see if you problem goes away. If it does you know it's one of the ones you disabled so you can enabled half of those, etc. Keep doing this until you narrow down which one is causing the issue. Please let me know what you find.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

OK, so now we know it's one of the Startup programs causing your issue. The best way to narrow this down is to go back there and disable half of them and see if you problem goes away. If it does you know it's one of the ones you disabled so you can enabled half of those, etc. Keep doing this until you narrow down which one is causing the issue. Please let me know what you find.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

It's still doing it.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Can you explain to me what process you followed? Did you disable half of them and test and then if it happened again, disable the other half? What was your exact process?

Betrayed

Betrayed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Can you explain to me what process you followed? Did you disable half of them and test and then if it happened again, disable the other half? What was your exact process?

I went down them one by one.