Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

SparkNerd

SparkNerd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I have been having a problem with my laptop and have been asking people if they have a solution. My problem is my laptop says this every time I start it: windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause
This all started when I was trying to fix my usb stick by using partition wizard and it said something about deleting something and I thought it was something on the usb. So I pressed yes to delete one of the partitions because I thought it was one on the usb. It told me to restart but when I did I got the message I just told you. Thanks if you can help.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

http://answers.micro...defa3703?auth=1

Did this help get you going on the right track? Is the message coming up when you first start the system because that is why I think it has to do with the BCD or Boot on your partition.

Did your laptop come with installation disks or did you make the required backup disk when you first got the laptop?

SparkNerd

SparkNerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes when I turn on the laptop the dell logo shows then the error message pops up, I can't even go into safe mode :( and I have a dell usb that came with the laptop.

SparkNerd

SparkNerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Contacted my computers manufacture, they said I could try using a system recovery disk which is created. I will try and hopefully it works :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yep that was the next step since it does look like you deleted the partition or at the very least the master boot record or BCD as it is called is corrupted. 

SparkNerd

SparkNerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Came with a recovery usb but idk

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

That should work to rebuild the BCD so it will boot. There should be a startup repair on that to replace any missing or corrupted files.