Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card broke, Can't even boot into Setup Utility

• Please log in to reply

bg111

bg111

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hi All

In the last week, once when playing a game and once when on-line my computer has crashed to the BSOD and then rebooted. On startup the screen has gone black and there has been gibberish everywhere, as the attached pic. The second time it happened, it went into system recovery and tried to reboot to an earlier time, after that it worked again and I put Blue Screen View on the computer and got a screenshot as below. Not long after it crashed again, this time after failing at the system recovery again, I decided not to try and boot it to an earlier time, thinking it would still work. Now when I power up I get the funny screen (attached) a few seconds of the screen that says press F2 or DEL to enter System Utility, then the funny screen again and then nothing. F2 and DEL to take me anywhere. I put my original Windows disc in and restarted again, but that didn’t work either.

I can’t run any reports for you. I am running Windows 7 64bit edition.

I looked at both crash reports using BlueScreenView and they were both the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150710_063818.jpg
  • Screenshot 2015-07-09 20.30.26.png

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the gibberish before the system loads isn't necessarily the graphics card (could be though)...could be a corrupted bios or something?

those errors show that their directx errors and most likely related to the graphics card or the graphics card driver.

is it an onboard graphics card or is it an addon card?

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Yes, its an addon card, for gaming, though it is quite old. I do have a different card I can try.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

seems like a good starting point

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Well that was an easy fix :geek:  Put my old card in and everything is working fine. No more crashes or screens of gibberish :yeah:

Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know the resolution.