Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

download/program errors

• Please log in to reply

pyromaniac111

pyromaniac111

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've recently been having trouble with certain aspects of my comp, I've all the latest anti-virus software and ad-aware but it's still happening. The problem is when I try and download anything it will either freeze half way through or not start at all. Also when dealing with sites with moving graphics it won't load them, also when dealing with images on my computer like trying to open files with Adobe photoshop or even just looking at images in my pictures, it will stop responding, i've done multipul virus checks and spyware checks i've also done a memtest and everythings fine, I have 512mb of RAM so I can't see it being a memory problem. Any ideas?

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
click start - control panel - add/remove program and remove anything you think is suspicious like toolbars or search assistants
- try to clear some space and unneccessary usage of RAM

you can also do the Contol+Alt+Delete function that brings up Task Manager and disable some of the processes you think are suspicious of malware/viruses
- that way you can lower the amount of processes running until you can figure out the problems

then download Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware - used TOGETHER they will help you get rid of a lot of problems\
- see below link - follow some of the outline processes here and you should be fine
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by aldaros23, 23 June 2005 - 02:12 PM.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
What aldaros23 said should work. But if it doesn't, as a last resort you can try clearing out some file space using the Disk Cleanup utility (go to Start, All Programs, Accessories then System Tools - the shortcut should be right there). The program will mainly clear out your temporary Internet files and recycle bin, and maybe a few other folders which shouldn't affect the computer processes at all. Following that, do a disk defragmentation (found right below Disk Cleanup) to reorganize your files and further free up space in your hard disk.

Next, I'd suggest you download WinASO Registry Optimizer, a very useful registry cleaner that helps speed up your overall computer speed (including loading times) by optimizing your Internet Explorer options and other computer utilities and, most importantly, deep scanning and repairing obsolete/broken registry entries and other useless stuff that gradually piles up and slows down your computer. The free version can only repair ten files at a go, but that's okay - just do it over and over again until your computer is completely free from junk, then continue on with the other steps to optimize your PC's functions. Do a search for WinASO on download.com - it should be in the first entry that comes up.

P.S. If you are using Internet Explorer though, I'd strongly suggest you switch to an alternative, more secure and possibly faster browser like Firefox (recommended in several of the articles in here), Opera or even an IE companion like Avant, which can help in making IE more secure and less bug-prone.

Edited by cassykins, 23 June 2005 - 06:35 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're downloading a lot of stuff, get yourself a decent download manager like Flashget or Getright. One that will allocate space before it starts the download. You shouldn't have to defrag on an XP machine, but you might want to scan and see if the disk needs it. The automatic defrag may be having a problem.