Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WONT START

• Please log in to reply

JANCC

JANCC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I HAVE WINDOWS XP HOME - I WAS RESTORING MY COMP TO AN EARLIER DATE WHEN A POWERCUT HAPPENED - NOW MY COMP STARTS AS NORMAL THEN GETS TO BLANK SCREEN AND RESTARTS ITSELF - IVE TRIED SAFE MODE AND LAST KNOWN CONFIG AND THEY DIDNT WORK - IVE ALSO INSERTED ORIGINAL WINDOWS XP CD THAT CAME WITH THE COMPUTER BUT THAT DIDNT DO ANYTHING EITHER - PLEASE HELP ME

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You have the windows install cd, can you boot to that? You may need to get into the bios and change to boot order to boot to cd first. Most systems this is done by pressing the del key as you boot up--access the bios and change to cd first, then save changes and exit, reboot to the cd. Then you can try going to start, run and type sfc /scannow. Then remove the cd and try to re-boot in normal mode. If you still have the same problem, put the windows cd back in, boot to it and try running a repair install. See the guide at
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

JANCC

JANCC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANKS FOR HELP BUT THAT DIDNT WORK - MY FATHER IN LAW SENT ME A RELOAD CD HE HAD BOUGHT IT FROM TINY A WHILE AGO - WE TRIED THAT AND IT HAS WORKED BUT SYSTEM KEEPS TELLING ME THERE IS A MAJOR THREAT THAT NEEDS SORTING