Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive not accessible - RAW

• Please log in to reply

cvrband

cvrband

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

I'm running a Windows 7, 32bit computer with a (2012) 3TB external hard drive that is now not accessible.  Through windows explorer, the computer shows that the drive is still there, but when I try to access it, it produces this error: 

Format Drive - error 1.JPG

I then click "Cancel" to NOT format the drive and this error appears:

Location - error 2.JPG

I then right click on "Computer" in windows explorer and select "Manage" to access the computer/disk management.  Doing so provides the following information with my drive:

Disk Management.JPG

My understanding is that if it is working properly, it will be NTFS rather than RAW.

Is it possible to repair or at least retrieve the files off of this drive?  If so, can someone provide instructions on how to do that?

Thank you!

John

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Is it still under warranty? If so, do you care?

Depending on what is wrong, you might be able to recover the data. It could be the USB interface or it could be the actual drive. If it is the drive, it could be harder and more expensive to try to recover the data.

If you don't care about the warranty, if any, you can open the case and try to directly connect the drive to your computer. That will determine if it is the USB interface, including the cable. Until you open the case, you won't know if it is easy to directly connect the drive or if you need an adapter.

You can also try to run the drive diagnostics from Seagate. It is unclear whether the Windows version includes the diagnostics though:

http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/