Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet slow on 3 devices and fine on many others

• Please log in to reply

dalm4ever

dalm4ever

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have run into an issue I can not resolve myself.

I have 3 devices that are now running super slow internet speeds over the wifi (0.50mbps according to ookla).  Meanwhile other laptops and phones run at 16mbps over the wifi.  The devices are a toshiba laptop, a nexus 10 tablet, and playstation 4.  I also hard wired the laptop and then it shot up to the same 16mbps that my desktop and other devices get via wifi but as soon as I go back the wifi back to baically nothing.  The main thing I think it might be is that the 3 devices that run really slow do not recognize the 5.0GHZ and are only connecting to the 2.4ghz.  I have switched my 1 laptop over that works fine from the 5.0GHZ to the 2.4GHZ and the speed according to ookla drops from 16mbps to the same 0.50 mbps.  

I am stomped...i have turned off the setting on the laptop that allows it to manage power, i have adjust the playstation to manually connect to the google DNS and changed  the MTU but that all brought it up to blazing 250kbps (felt like i was on AOL dial up again from the 90s).  I have provided some specs below but let me know if you need any other details.  I have restarted all the devices, updated the drivers on the laptop, hard wired the laptop....so i have ruled out drivers, modem, router....so like i said i think there is something wrong with my 2.4 and I am not sure why those devices can not detect the 5.0.

The router is a Belkin Wireless Play Max Router:

Dualband 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHZ

300mbps

802.11n

The laptop runs:

windows 8.1

realtek rtl8188ce wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic

(does not recognize the 5.0GHZ only the 2.4ghz) 

Tablet:

Nexus 10

Anroid 5.1.1

(does not recognize the 5.0GHZ only the 2.4ghz) 

Console:

Playstation 4

System update 2.55

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello dalm4ever... and :welcome:

Cordless phones (older ones rather than today's 1.9 GHz DECT-based models), Bluetooth devices, microwave ovens , baby monitors, alarm systems, wireless speakers, or any other device that emits RF signals at 2.4 GHz can wreak havoc with a Wi-Fi network running on that frequency.

You mentioned swapping a device from the 5.0GHz to the 2.4GHz yielded the same results.  Can you confirm it's the opposite, vice-versa?  If so, I would guess it's either interference at the 2.4GHz frequency or your router is going faulty.

Good luck!

Edited by Fusionbomb, 20 July 2015 - 03:24 PM.

dalm4ever

dalm4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the reply and welcome

I can not switch the devices that are not working properly to 5.0 because that signal is not being detected by the devices having the problem.  I have switched the devices that are working from 5.0 to 2.4 back to 5.0 and they worked, didnt work, and worked respectively.

Is there a way to tell if my devices should be able to access the 5.0 signal?

Is there a way to "clear the airwaves" to help my 2.4 wi-fi signals?

Lastly, I do not think the router is going faulty since the 5.0 works fine on some devices concurrently to other devices not working on the 2.4.  However, does it make sense that the 2.4 signal on the router could be faulty while the 5.0 signal is fine?

Edited by dalm4ever, 22 July 2015 - 08:49 PM.