Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error upon startup

• Please log in to reply

Luthien Rogue

Luthien Rogue

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP; I did not unistall Windows XP first, I simply reinstalled it over the original. Now, when starting up my computer, just before RestoreIT says it's creating a new backup point, I get this message, every time:

RestoreIT

Operating system OR hard disk partitions have been altered. The current backup point does not match either your current hard disk setup or your operating system.

I then have to click OK each time in order to continue.

I tried going into RestoreIT, but got this error message:

RestoreIT ecountered a problem! This problem may cause your RestoreIT to work improperly.

The detailed information about this problem is the following:

Error Code: 0x1
Description: A core error! You may need to re-install RestoreIT.

And then this message popped up:

vbptask.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x73dd1994" referenced memory at "0x00144ed4". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program.

My computer and system information is:

System -- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

Computer -- Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

This is a brand new computer, not even a 3 weeks old. I don't think it came with a RestoreIT CD or anything, it was installed by the company who made my computer. The only CDs I was given were WindowsXP, Colour Driver, Monitor Driver etc...So, I cannot get help from the company...

What should I do?

Advertisements