Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kasperski Addons

• Please log in to reply

Cynic

Cynic

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Windows XP SP3 (Yes, I know ...) and Firefox

Just removed my old security software and installed Kasperski 2015 Internet Security.  Surprisingly slow, and aborted a full scan after 5 hours and 30% coverage.  One of my remaining irritations is that 5 addons have been installed by Kasperski.  One of them, 'URL Advisor' is labelled '.. incompatible with Firefox 39.0'.  All 5 are listed with buttons to disable - but after disabling and restarting Firefox all 5 of them are back.  There seems no way of removing them from Firefox.

I've searched the internet and tried all the suggested methods but without success.  It seem that Kasperski has decided that I will have them installed, whatever my preferences may be.  Can anyone assist here?

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Have you tried re-installing or resetting Firefox?

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

What was your old security software?  Most anti-virus programs require a removal utility along with uninstalling the program normally.

Cynic

Cynic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The old security software was Vipre, and was removed with Revo Uninstaller in order to ensure all files were renoved. 

Tried a Firefox uninstal and install, also a new profile but the Kasperski addons stayed faithful.  Judging by official comments on the web by Kasperski, this behaviour is intended by design as a security feature.  I suppose - if I could turn them off then so could malware?

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Usually there is an removal tool put out by the security vendor, in this case Vipre.  Not so for Vipre.  They used to supply one but they don't any more. 

I would normally think that removing Vipre with Revo Uninstaller would be a bad thing to do, but it may have been ok in this case.

I don't like to use Revo Uninstaller unless there is some kind of problem, it can sometimes cause more problems than it solves.

Judging by official comments on the web by Kasperski, this behaviour is intended by design as a security feature.  I suppose - if I could turn them off then so could malware?

You are correct, if you could turn them off easily, so could malware.

My concern is your Kaspersky AV running slowly.  Part of that might be the age of your computer, and the operating system (XP)

If you still have Vipre services installed and running, it could cause a conflict and that could cause slowness, among other issues.

If you would, can you click on Start and type in Services.msc
In the list of services, do you see any services that begin with Vipre or SB Recovery Service or GFI Languard Attendant Service?

If you do, please double-click on it,  In properties you can select Disabled in the Startup type section. Click Ok to go back to the services list.

If you do disable any of those services, please reboot your comptuer and see if Kaspersky runs any better.

Cynic

Cynic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

In the end Vipre was removed by MS Fix-It, as per advice received from GFI.  Quite smoothly in fact.

Ran Services, and non of the three titles were present, so I'm possibly clean now.

About to try a full scan again ...

Full scan was aborted (need to leave) after one hour having checked 24% and reported estimated remaining time 3 hours.

Edited by Cynic, 28 July 2015 - 02:23 PM.