Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data from an Old (Corrupted?) Floppy

floppy A drive 3.5 floppy

• Please log in to reply

technorama

technorama

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there folks,

I'd be really grateful for any advice, as people on other sites have been unable to help.

I need to extract a file from an old 3.5" floppy disk. However, I am unable to access it using an external A drive. When I try and access it, I hear the drive spinning for about a minute before I get the following message:

"You need to format the disk in drive A: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Yes/No"

"No," then more spinning, then:

"A:\ is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."

The reason that I'm not just accepting that the disk is a no-hoper is because I have a variety of old floppies which I've been trying to access recently and some I managed to access in spite of this message.

Those that I managed to do this with sounded like there was a mechanical problem when the disk span, so I tore the metal shutter off and that allowed me to access them. However, that hasn't worked with this disk and it's the only one I actually need to get data from!

I have made a cusory attempt to recover the data using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard but because Explorer won't access the disk, the program doesn't see the drive. I've tried multiple external drives too so I know there's not a problem there.

Does anyone know of any way I might be able to access this disk? Because of the way I managed to access the other disks when they gave the exact same message, I'm convinced it's not entirely corrupted.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

T.

Windows 7 (64 Bit), 4GB Ram, Intel i5.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Can you get windows to do a disk check on the floppy? 

Maybe this program?

http://www.tucows.com/preview/347622

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

You can try this..

http://www.jufsoft.c...py_recovery.asp