Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes momentarily upon restarting

• Please log in to reply

Jake85r

Jake85r

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

First of all let me get the specs out of the way:

Cpu: I5 4670k

Motherboard: z87 MSI G45

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8Gb

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO

Ok, so normally my computer boots in about 10 seconds give or take when started from a powered down state. The problem is whenever i go to restart the computer, it boots up to the desktop and there are no icons. Then it proceeds to freeze for about 30 seconds to 1 min, before it is responsive. It seems like it restarts so fast that it can't keep up. I was just wondering if this is normal, but other than the restarting issue, the computer is blazing fast and has no problems. I also have zero startup programs active, so it isn't trying to load any programs when booting. I am also aware that some batches of the 840 EVO have been know to degrade really fast, and I am wondering if this is the cause of that.

If i am posting this in the wrong section just redirect me, because I'm not sure where to put it Thanks!

Edited by Jake85r, 26 July 2015 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello Jake,

Method1:

I would suggest you to perform System maintenance troubleshooter.
Refer the link to perform system maintenance troubleshooter.

Performance & maintenance

Method2:

I would also suggest you to perform clean boot and check. Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.
To set the computer in clean boot, follow the steps from the link:

How to perform a clean boot .

Method 3:

I would suggest you to run the System File Checker utility.
SFC/Scannow checks your Windows installation for errors and corrects them. This will help with ensuring that a smooth upgrade occurs.

Click Start

Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD

Click ‘Run as Administrator

At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

I would suggest you to rebuild icon cache.

Follow the steps to rebuild icon cache.

1. Open Windows explorer
2. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option , and click OK .

3. Then, enter the following directory:

C:\users\(User name)\AppData\Local

4. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
5. Close the window, and restart the computer.

Edited by Dashing star, 27 July 2015 - 12:52 AM.