Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No operating system left!

• Please log in to reply

adink

adink

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a 2001 Sony Vaio PCG-FXA 36 laptop with Windows XP. I think that a virus shut my laptop down. I tried to reformat it with the system recovery cds (which I've successfully done a number of times when I had really bad viruses), but all that happens is in the upper left-hand corner it says: "NO OPERATING SYSTEM DETECTED," or something to that effect (it might not have the word "DETECTED," but you get the idea). Please help me with this problem. I tried to load a copy of Windows ME, but I only keep getting the same message.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it sounds like the computer is not reading the cd-rom first or at all

This could happen if you altered the boot order of the PC so that the harddrive was the first boot device.

Drop into BIOS and check to see that the CD-ROM is first.

adink

adink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry, but I am obviously a newbie at this more-indepth stuff. How do I go into BIOS and change the system so that it will check the CD-ROM first?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you first start your computer, you should see a splash screen along with a "press XXX to enter setup"

That is what you want

Usually DEL, f1, f2, or f10, though there are other variations

adink

adink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I start the computer up all I see is: "No operating system," there aren't any options to do something at all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
before that....do you see a screen with a big VAIO or SONY?

tap those keys above during that splash screen

adink

adink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, there is a screen that says Sony briefly before it says "No operating system." I tap DEL, f1, f2, or f10 while that screen is there if I understand right.