Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Serial Bus Controller

• Please log in to reply

bernic2

bernic2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Formated harddrive and tried to do a clean instal of WIndows Xp Home. Lot's of problems. Reformated and reinstalled Win98 than upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition from WIN98 on my daughert's computer. Upgrade worked fine until I got to the device installation where the computer locked up. Had a 4 port USB controller card installed. Removed same and installation went great. Put the USB card back in. Task bar noted found new hardware went through the motion of installation and computer locked up again. Went into bios and disabled All USB control, restarted and computer worked fine.

Went to device manager and found that USB serial bus controller, or anything regarding that was not listed. Even before card was installed device manager had no listing of any USB device. Contacted Microsoft who advised me that it was a hardware problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hardware installs are...interesting.

You did not mention the card, so I can only give generic advice. Some hardware requires you to install the driver first, then the hardware; others have it reversed. Sounds like you have the former.

Remove the card, check the manufacturer site that made the card for drivers, install the drivers, shut down, install the card, boot.

bernic2

bernic2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry about posting this in the wrong place. Should have read the instructions first. Thank you for the information though. I do have the driver disk, but do not know how to install it. Card is generic. All new to me. Thank you again for your feedback.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, does that mean you know what to do now, or not?

Turn off the PC, physically remove the card. Start the PC. Install CD driver disk, run setup routine. Shut down pc, install card. Reboot.

Report back

bernic2

bernic2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That explains it ! Like I said this is all neew to me. Again, I appreciate your help.