Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with windows installer, msn, sys restore

• Please log in to reply

iheartmym0m

iheartmym0m

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so i'm running xp (with sp2) and lately i've been having some issues with a few things. when i try to shut down or restart, it logs me off of windows and just hangs at the 'shutting down windows' screen and doesn't ever actually finish shutting down. i have to manually turn the computer off and back on again.

also, i cannot run msn messenger properly anymore. it starts up and loads my contact list, i can even double click on the icon in the task bar and it will pop up. however, it doesn't respond when i right click on the taskbar icon and when the messenger is on the screen, i am unable to click on anything. when i hover over the window, the cursor turns into the busy cursor and i can't perform any actions. when i ctrl+alt+del, task manager says it is running and does not say that it is not responding.

but the biggest problem i've been having lately is that i am unable to install new programs onto my computer. i can download programs and start installations, but if the windows installer is used, it comes on the screen and "freezes" without completing any installation (it doesn't really freeze per se, but it just sort of hangs there. i can move the window around and hit the cancel button, so it's not completely unresponsive...but it just doesn't install anything). i really need this to work in order to install programs (like my virus scan type stuff and whatnot). the other issues disappeared when i ran the computer in safe mode (but that doesn't fix the problem and i want to be able to get my computer to work.) but the problem with installs did not change when run in safe mode.

oh, and also - when i'm in normal mode, i can't do a system restore. it won't even open. i can click on it (i've tried getting to it several different ways) and task manager even has the process running, but it never actually starts up on the screen. sometimes this happens when i try to do a windows search too. i don't know what to do i ran adaware and everything was perfectly fine but i tried to install microsoft anti-spyware and some other stuff but i can't do it because of the windows installer problem. heeeelllppppp

i downloaded hijack this, but i don't know if it is helpful if it's not a spyware/malware problem. i can post the log if anyone would like to see it. thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

iheartmym0m

iheartmym0m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm not sure exactly when it happened because i hadn't tried to do a system restore since last month (when i was also unable to restore in normal mode) or install anything that used windows installer for a while either. :tazz:

but during the last month, most (if not all) of the errors under system manager say this:

"The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found."

there's also a bunch of these:
"The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

and one or two of these:
"Error code 00000048, parameter1 81dad108, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000."

under the application viewer, there are

"Faulting application wpwin10.exe, version 10.0.0.663, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00cc9e6e."

"The description for Event ID ( 59 ) in Source ( LiveUpdate ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Item1692_avenge$201.5$20microdefs2_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages\enncurd2.x86."

"Hanging application mycd.exe, version 3.55.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000." (a lot of these with other applications listed as well)

and a lot of "Fault bucket (random numbers)"

i'm sorry if this isn't much help

iheartmym0m

iheartmym0m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i guess that didn't help? :tazz: