Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 reinstall

• Please log in to reply

ruff11

ruff11

• Pip
  • 2 posts

My machine is getting older now and i need to reinstall windows 7.  Registry errors, lost start up programs, occasionally won't shut down, recently some blue screens...It's time to start over.  I have 2 internal 1T hard drives.  My question is can I just right click my c: drive and paste it to my E: drive?   I don't intend to use the E: drive to boot up, just hold the data while reformatting the C: drive and installing a fresh copy of windows 7.  I have some older programs that i am afraid have data in odd locations and i don't want to loose it.  I also feel I could use the program file folders to remember what programs I want to go get off the internet.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

can you post the image of disk management?

ruff11

ruff11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for showing me a new area of windows.  The E: drive currently contains backup system images that I can delete.

Capture.GIF

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

what files you have in C: ? 

You need only program files?..  such as adobe, antivirus like that?

To backup as a system image read this.

Or you can use drop box for storing files of c: which you can access from any where through internet.

Already E: used 70% of space, is there any important data in E:?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You would have to pick and choose what you want to put on the E drive.

You do not have enough room to just copy the entire C drive to E drive.

C drive is using 576.8gb and E drive is using 790.24gb

In other words you only have 15% or 141.24 free space on the E drive.

You can copy your data over if you have enough room and you could also take screen shots of your program folder to show what is installed.