Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where are the restore points that I make in W7?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, I am in need of a smart persons answer. Why is it that whenever I create a restore point, Windows can never find it, when I actually need to restore? I created a restore point a few days ago, and when I go to restore to an earlier time, it tells me there are no restore points. How can that be? Are there any 3rd party applications that will basically do the same thing?

gDcmuun.jpg

Thank you very much

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello,

Some thoughts here,

Do you have an automatic defragging feature running ?

What's easy to overlook is the option "Show more restore points."

Do you have enough free space on the drive ?

Also

System Restore Points deleted or go missing in Windows 7 / 8

http://www.thewindow...leshoot-and-fix

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi BearCavalry, 

Do you got the message "the restore point was created successfully" when creating the restore point? Like this:

System_Protection_2015-08-05_23-06-41.png

Some malware can sometimes delete restore points. If you want to see if you are infected consult the pros in the malware removal team: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

Also - although you would be warned about this - if your system drive is very low in space restore points could be deleted by Windows to free up some space.

I don't think that there is a full scale restore program like Windows restore. ERUNT is a restore software for the registry ony, but the Windows system restore does more than only this.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hi BearCavalry, 

Do you got the message "the restore point was created successfully" when creating the restore point? Like this:

attachicon.gifSystem_Protection_2015-08-05_23-06-41.png

Some malware can sometimes delete restore points. If you want to see if you are infected consult the pros in the malware removal team: Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

Also - although you would be warned about this - if your system drive is very low in space restore points could be deleted by Windows to free up some space.

I don't think that there is a full scale restore program like Windows restore. ERUNT is a restore software for the registry ony, but the Windows system restore does more than only this.

Yes I get that message everytime. And during the times that I created the RP's, I had at least 20 Gigs of space open.