Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$Windows.~BT

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Soon after booting up my laptop, this directory appeared, hidden, on my C drive.

It looks like Windows installation files, with the EFI and autorun files.

Upon research, I discovered that these files are typically left over from a cancelled install, but I have not attempted to install Windows 10.

Any idea why this suddenly appeared?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Windows 10 has been downloading to a lot of systems so that when you do decide to install the majority of files are already on your system

There are two folders WS and BT

Caliburn

Caliburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Windows 10 has been downloading to a lot of systems so that when you do decide to install the majority of files are already on your system

There are two folders WS and BT

Strange that its only just been created now, considering GWX has been running on bootup for weeks, if not months now.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It may be different depending on location as I noticed the folders about a week ago