Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External drive

• Please log in to reply

philly30

philly30

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

My WD my book model wd1000h1u-00 will not show up in my PC on windows 10. It was fine in windows 8. I can see it in devices and printers and device manager but not disk management. When i click troubleshoot in devices and printers i get a message saying not compatible with USB 3.0 but it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. Any help is appreciated. As always Microsoft tech help is worthless 

Edited by philly30, 08 August 2015 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you have USB drivers? Updated? I suggest you to update it first.

RIght click on it on device manager and select update driver

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I connected it to another computer that has vista, still did not shpw up in MY PC, showed up in disk management but when i right clicked my only option was to delete volume, then i had to format. Then the drive showed up. Don't understand why this would happen. I lost all files on that drive but luckily that was the back up drive not main drive

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

you already format the drive?

Now it showed up in disk management and device manager?

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Yeah after i formatted it showed up, Just curious now as to why it suddenly disappeared

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

You say that it disappear from disk management or my computer?

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Disappeared from my computer

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

the reason why an external hard drive shows up as raw and needs formatting is usually because the partition table/ file system as gotten corrupted somehow.

there are tools out there capable of fixing the problem or to recover the files on there too, like testdisk/photorec, so if it happens again never do the format thing as your first option especially if there is important data on there.

:popcorn:

someone with a similar problem :-

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive

http://www.tomshardw...partition-drive

Edited by terry1966, 12 August 2015 - 11:38 PM.

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

If it happens again i will do that .Thanks fo the info

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Before i got it terry explained you everything...  :)

Thanks terry!

As it it RAW it is not shown in my computer and drive letter is not assigned!

If you have issue post here philly  :thumbsup:

Regards

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

The thing about adding a drive letter is that i tried that but the option was greyed out, Only option was to delete volume And there is no long bar saying RAW

Edited by philly30, 13 August 2015 - 01:05 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes pretty sure that happens when the windows os doesn't recognise the file system for one reason or another, could be because it was originally formatted with a linux or mac filesystem or could be it just got corrupted, but like i said there are tools out there that can fix such problems without you losing any data usually and getting it usable again by the windows os.

always worth trying the simple things first tho, like trying to assign it a drive letter, as you did, before moving onto other options of which the last is to delete and format the drive again.

:popcorn:

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Well if i have that problem again i will check back here first. I have had many drives but that was the first time i hadthat problem so hopefully it never happens again especially with a main drive i use. I assume the upgrade to windows 10 plus it being an older drive did something to it.