Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cooling fan problems in hp pavillion dv7-6135dx

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

i have recently noticed sometimes at startup, i get a notice that tells me the comp has cooling fan problems.

how do i determine if the fan is going bad or if there are other problems?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Hello gregahoffman.

As stated by HP people, this is a known problem >> See this link to HP with the only option being to "blow a can of compresses air" into the end of the computer near the "QWAS" area of the laptop.

NOTE 1 : See that they do not advise you to dismantle the computer unless you are 100% sure that you know what you are doing.

This may dislodge any build up of extra dust Etc. and help to cool or dislodge any build-up when it first starts.

Hope this is a good first step.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

thats not an option, thefan is stuck on low speed, at boot up, it tries to go full speed, possibly a test for the system, but it can't. it has been very loud and noisy for over a year.

i ordered one on the internet and plan on disassembling it and repairing it. i have a HP service manual and also ordered some arctic silver thermal paste.

i have installed speedfan, but i cannot force the fan to spin faster.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I do understand ..

Please take care when you dismantle the unit, and as you have the HP service manual only do it how they say.

I would say "not a test for the system", but more like "stuck in first gear in a car" but it never moves into cruise mode once warmed up. :rolleyes:

It could be simply bearings or bushes in the fan unit are worn out, as most of these units are about 3 to 5 years old (or more), but you do not say.

Take care with the wires, as I always tag them when I remove them. Clean any old paste, and only a Very Small dab of new silver paste..

Yell back here when you finish as I will keep an eye on the topic.

Click on Follow this topic at the top right side so you do not lose it, and we may be able to help with any other problems.

Good Luck.