Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I clean install Windows 10 from Win7 Upgrade?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,I was reading that if you want to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from Windows 7 that you have to do the inplace upgrade first from 7 to 10 to get a Win10 product key(is this correct?)

Then once you have Win10 Activated you must note the Product Key,use the download tool to burn a Win10 iso to a dvd via("Create installation media for another PC.")and then perform the clean install.

Is there no way to just convert your Windows 7 Product key to a Windows 10 key so that you don't have to go through all of the above?

After you have done the fresh install of Windows 10 I am assuming that you would re-install all of your drivers is this correct?

I performed an inplace upgrade keeping all of my existing programs,settings etc. two weeks ago but it eventually crashed and the keyboard and mouse stopped working,I then tried to revert back to Windows 7 from inside Windows 10 and had the same problem so ended up doing a full re-install of Windows 7.

I found that Windows 10 Slowed my Laptop down and was wondering if this could be due to me only having 4gb of RAM and would upgrading to 8gb sort this?

I think I might wait for another couple of months before attempting the upgrade again to give some time to let them fix some of the bugs in Win10.

Edited by mrpooh3, 12 August 2015 - 12:03 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

More ram won't make much, if any difference.

Processor speed, hard drive free space, startup programs will make a difference.

Waiting a while is a good idea.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

I tried an upgrade again this time after upgrading from win7 I took the new product key and burned an iso to dvd for win 10 and done a full clean install and so far so good although my kaspersky security suite is not compatible which I think is outrageous as it is one of the most popular avs out there.

So far so good though without any problems yet.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Blame Kaspersky, not Microsoft. They've had 8-9 months to make it compatible.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

You can do a clean install of 10 from 7.